Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   It's cold here Need new job (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/175272-its-cold-here-need-new-job.html)

dwtinc 12-14-2007 10:14 PM

I think I will start a new thread on name the best things about where you live and see where it goes. I can't believe how far this thread has gone and it has all been interesting and not repetitive. Maybe if enough people jumped on this thread and started it off that way it would make people look in a more positive direction.

smokin' joe 12-14-2007 11:04 PM

The problem with Southeast Florida is that most people are from somewhere else. They are usually malcontents that were not happy at home with family, friends and neighbors. So they move to the Florida Gold Coast and bring their FU attitudes with them. It's Like New York City with Palm Trees. I've lived in Cleveland, Columbus, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, St. Louis and Peoria, but it was not until I moved to Parkland, Fla. (near Boca Raton) that I traded friendliness and politeness for rudeness and inconsideration. It's sad (but funny) when you go to the Miami Dolphins Stadium and find more people rooting for the New York Jets. But if you love boats and 365 boating, then South Florida is the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE...

dwtinc 12-14-2007 11:13 PM

We have the Kansas City Chiefs and everyone still supports them even though they are losers. Of course they biacth and complain about them but they are still tailgating in 20 degree weather doing it. Thats one thing I would miss is the KC football atmosphere. Maybe an opportunity will come up and I can be one more in South Florida with a positive outlook.

copiercat 12-15-2007 07:28 AM

when i decided to move from Ann Arbor Mich in 88 to Fla, i drove down the east coast and up the west coast stopping at towns all along the way to get the flavor of each, when i got to the sarasota area i basically stopped looking as it was as close to the things that i held high as importantance in a community i could attach myself too, with that said what I discovered was that Fla has 2 sides, the east coast is where people were from the northeast NY,NJ, MASS,Conn, and such the west coast is people from the rust belt ,Mich, OH, ILL,and that the 2 interestates separate the 2- 95 east,75 west,i chose west as it was people i was accustomed too and i liked the sunsets better than sunrise over the water and i really dont like dealing with atttitudes as well as i dont speak spanish and i like my car where i left it the night before. i havent locked my home or car in a VERY long time and never had a problem.
we get to tailgate here with several college towns not far and the bucs games in tampa 1 hour away, although everyone roots for the visiting team it seems

PARADOX 12-15-2007 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by smokin' joe (Post 2372532)
The problem with Southeast Florida is that most people are from somewhere else. They are usually malcontents that were not happy at home with family, friends and neighbors. So they move to the Florida Gold Coast and bring their FU attitudes with them. It's Like New York City with Palm Trees. I've lived in Cleveland, Columbus, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, St. Louis and Peoria, but it was not until I moved to Parkland, Fla. (near Boca Raton) that I traded friendliness and politeness for rudeness and inconsideration. It's sad (but funny) when you go to the Miami Dolphins Stadium and find more people rooting for the New York Jets. But if you love boats and 365 boating, then South Florida is the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE...

Sad but true. Parkland is nice however Almost built a house there. More space between your neighbors.

:) Peoria. ... Main st. University st. PBR. Cat. Big Als',, BU. Avanti's and the best Gondola ni the world.. :evilb: Sounds familiar???

dwtinc 12-15-2007 11:43 AM

It definitely sounds like the west side is more friendly but it also sounds like the economy might be a little better on the east side. Sounds like more jobs on the east.

Mark 12-15-2007 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by dwtinc (Post 2372442)
Thanks for the advice Mark and I would not be in for short term. You would have to agree that there should be more of an opportunity in a state that has a good the track record for growth. People will come back. In your opinion is the market bottomed out or will it go farther.

Absolutely. Florida will always be great in the long term. Waterfront seemed to bottom out a while ago. Might go down a little bit more, but I doubt very much more. Other types of property are a different story. As all of these Short Sales turn into foreclosures, starter homes and less than unique Condos will likely take another hit as future Auction comps. will likely drive down some values a bit. Recession is another factor. I would not be surprised to see another 10% drop on the lower end stuff.

I do not see many Short Sales on waterfront homes. But starter homes - well, there are at least 400 on Cape Coral alone if memory serves me correct. It is somewhat amazing to see a home which was built new a year ago for $235,000 - now worth $130,000. :eek: Dry lots which at their peak were selling for say up to $80,000 - now worth $15,000. :eek:

dwtinc 12-15-2007 02:54 PM

Mark you stated you are leaving down there in a while. Are you going back? I will probably plan a trip in mid Janurary to check things out. If you are available I would be interested in looking into what the place has to offer.

Jupiter Sunsation 12-15-2007 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi (Post 2369917)
You like Florida? Why? We have the rudest, most self-centered, selfish, inconsiderate, rotten people living here in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. Most of the people would just as soon run you over on the highway or in the supermarket with their carts. Forget anyone looking you in the eye. If you're nice and polite to people, they mistake it for weakness and try to take advantage of you.
The only reasonable people you'll meet here are from the midwest.
If I wasn't so damn old and established here I would leave and start over somewhere else.

Oh yeah, the tap water sucks and never gets cold. Most of the cops are idiots and couldn't solve a crime if their lives depended on it.

Otherwise it's a pretty nice place to live.

HE IS RIGHT ON WITH THIS POST!

Note most of the SE FL coast consists of immigrants from 3rd world nations that have or are about to collapse and NY/ NJ refugees. Note every NY refuge is from Manhatten, never will you hear Flatbush, The Bronx etc. The Americans will complain that everything is better where they came from: Food, traffic, people

The foreigners will be quick to explain that everything in their country was free or damn near free and they left paradise.

I spent 8 years in Ft Lauderdale, 19 years in Boca Raton (land of the scam), graduated from the University of Miami (Coral Gables) and soon to be 7 years in Jupiter ( soon to be the new Boca). If you notice the trend I keep moving north to escape the mayhem.

PARADOX 12-15-2007 03:40 PM

[QUOTE I spent 8 years in Ft Lauderdale, 19 years in Boca Raton (land of the scam), graduated from the University of Miami (Coral Gables) and soon to be 7 years in Jupiter ( soon to be the new Boca). If you notice the trend I keep moving north to escape the mayhem.[/QUOTE]
:) From Boca, to Boynton to WPB, to NPR, (West coast)
I'l be knockng at Canada in a few years.. Eiiyyy..:angry-smiley-038: