Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   It's cold here Need new job (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/175272-its-cold-here-need-new-job.html)

dwtinc 12-12-2007 10:19 PM

Paradox I don't mind. Remember its cold as sh:t here and I am not busy. This even helps making up my mind. It gives me an opinion from the people that live there.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-12-2007 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by dwtinc (Post 2370021)
You all have to admit. There is no better water in the US than Florida. I have been all up the west coast and up the north east coast and along the gulf states from Texas over to Florida. The only thing I have found that is so boater friendly is the Ozarks and like I said it gets cold there. It is 31 degrees right now at the Lake and my computer says its 76 in Lauderdale

We cool our boat engines here with warm saltwater. The only thing more corrosive is acid!

Today I did a survey and sea trial on a 2005 38' Top Gun with FWC 525 EFIs. Immediately after the marina lifted the boat, they flushed both engines and scrubbed the boat. This is a common practice here if you expect your boat to last and retain its value.

dwtinc 12-12-2007 10:38 PM

I know and am aware of the salt. The water itself is nasty. My boat came from Sunny Isles and thats what was done everytime. Probably haven't seen to many freeze breaks though. What about Lake Okechobee? Or however its spelled. How is the salt content there. What about salt content in the Gulf. Any better or worse?

Cash Bar 12-12-2007 10:51 PM

Lake Okeechobee is a big puddle. Not many(if any) perf boats there.

I love it here. I left Atl after 12 years to return here. I would love to have a plce in ATL, but only if I could winter here in S. Fla.

dwtinc 12-12-2007 10:55 PM

Cash thanks for being the only one that agrees with S. Florida. What town do you live in? Is Lake Okeechobee deep or shallow?

Cash Bar 12-12-2007 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by dwtinc (Post 2370050)
Cash thanks for being the only one that agrees with S. Florida. What town do you live in? Is Lake Okeechobee deep or shallow?

Lake Okee is a giant SHALLOW mud puddle. A nearly dried up one too. Average is only about 8ft right now. Down about 4-5 feet from normal.

We have our pros and cons here. People do tend to be azzholes, but I was born here so I can give it as well as take it.

If I could make 70% of the cash I make here in Ga, I would go there, but only 7-8 months a year and only because the average age is like 38.

1CE 12-12-2007 11:04 PM

you-right

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2370006)
Sorry everyone.. It's real serious issue for me, due to my past and personnal reasons, so bare with me.. I just had to say this..
Quote>> President Carter, in his infinite wisdom, allowed Cuba to clean out their jails and insane asylums and let them come into Miami. Do you think it's safe for a white man after dark in most of Miami? Good Luck.<<<<

I also do Construction as a GC in Florida. I have to go to Miami, Dade. Miramar.. Hialiah.. etc. I feel like I'm in a different country. NO ONE SPEAK ENGLISH..!!!
I want to get lunch and I can't becouse everyone assumes I speak some Latin/Spanish?Spanglish or something... and I mean they assume.. I go to the grossery store for something and they tell me how much I owe in Spanish.. Then they wonder why I just wait there untill some one translates.
I have no issues with Spanish, the Latin community, the Chinese, Polish.. I dont care if you from Mars, PLuto or Orian. BUT...
If you live here, work here, take my taxes... YOU BETTER SPEAK MY FF""ING LANGUAGE.
It just get's me so ff'ing angry that my tax dollars are paying for some.. to take their drivers license test in some other language then English. IN THE USA.
(sorry everyone, it's been a hard day. I just had to vent a bit)

:ernaehrung004: I go hide now.

Paradox, vent all u-want it's the unfortunate truth I'l have 1-too \'_/ back to the topic Florida !:o

PARADOX 12-12-2007 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by dwtinc (Post 2370050)

You better use a 4' X8' Plywood with a weed wacker in the back on Lake O..

Cash.. you and I need to talk one of these days about some RE.
BTW.. lol with a name like that.. go get your MTI... hope you get it soon... (what the hey.. get two)
:ernaehrung004:

dwtinc 12-12-2007 11:44 PM

Hey Paradox there is a 35 Fountain (yes the F word) in the classifieds that sounds cheap. 97 for 47 divorce sell. Maybe its something you can use and not loose anything on.

Mark 12-13-2007 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2369651)
Mark, I remember in another thread you saying you were moving back up this way, What part of OH are you from/moving too?
I was planning on dropping everything and moving to Tampa/St. Pete area about 5 yrs ago and buying a liveaboard housboat, and then an opportunity came up here in Cincitucky that brought us here.
The winter isn't nearly as $hitty as Toledo where I grew up...

Hey Bouy, my home is in Morrow - just outside of Lebanon. I'm about 45 min. from the river. Not too far from you. It's just in the country and I'm used to a bit of a drive. We need to meet up when I get back. Just might be at the end of December. Not looking forward to the freakin cold!

I looked at living on a boat myself. My big dog made that a bit unrealistic. Now I have a pup also - too much for a boat. :( Actually, it would cost the same as a decent home here with a pool - but I'd do it if I could.

I spent plenty of summers and a few winter weekends up on Erie. Toledo winters would have put me in a mental ward if it were full time. Florida weather is awesome, but it's tough to make a buck down here at this time.

BTW - How is your older dog doing? If he passed, I'm sorry.