Notices

First Boat- Saying hi

Old 12-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cmcjo
Hello all.

I have just signed to get a new 310SS Formula which will be my first Boat. I can still change it since it is a factory ordered boat.

Should I be looking at a different boat?
welcome to OSO..

so , did you sign the papers for the boat? has the loan gone through etc? all paper work signed or just a deposit?

what dealer told did you buy from if they are telling you that you can change the order?

have you called the bank? will the bank approve that?

imo , you should be looking at buying a used boat , for the amount of depreciation you will take on a new boat , you could buy a good , reliable 24-30 boat...

especially with the market the way it is..

Last edited by open87; 12-16-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On top of everything that was mentioned already your fuel economy may actually be worse with the smaller engines. Small blocks with a big load are sometimes worse than big blocks with comparatively lighter loads when it comes to fuel consumption. A boat like that would definitely perform well with the 496HOs and will be more reliable in the process. Welcome to OSO!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll reiterate what everyone else is saying, get the big blocks. The small motors will end up sucking as much fuel and you will always want more power / torque. I have a '29 Baja with 7.4's and there is no way I would want one with small blocks. I could use more power as it is (who couldn't?).

Second, my buddy bought a 36 outlaw as his first boat. He did have some experience but this was his first and he didn't have any problems. Everyone always want so to go bigger so get the biggest one first (especially if you are buying new). Upgrading can get really expensive!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I could tell you that in resale the people who are in the market for an SS boat are going to want 496's.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RUNNINHOTRACING158
Hi cmcjo and welcome to OSO, If your any where WARM,SUNNY, & no friggin sno i may want to apply for that capts position
I wish man! Im living in freezing North Jersey!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
If you only plan to keep it 3 years, you are going to loose your a$$ when you go to resell/trade it. I would have bought used, especially for your first boat. The biggest depreciation is in the first 3 years. You can get a lot more boat for less $$ buying used. Kind of a moot point to ask for advice after the fact. I would definately get the 496's. They have a lot more torque and you will need it with a big heavy boat.

A 31SS is a huge boat for a first boat IMO. It also does not sound like you have much if any experience boating. It also depends a lot on where you are boating.
Hi Griff. Your right, I have little boating experience. BUt I do plan to learn quickly. I definatly want a new Boat though. ANd it looks like 496 is the way to go
Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

You can never have too much horsepower, but having too little sux.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Macklin
cmcjo, welcome aboard, and be prepared for the OSO fix you will soon desire!!

Is this really your first boat?

Give us more info on where you boat and what you would expect to do any given weekend. That will help us to give you advice.

Mine would be, if this is your first, to start out with a smaller boat.
Hi Macklin. Yes this willl be my first boat. So I want to do it right with a new Boat with the options that I want. My plan is to cruise in the Bay and sometimes bring it to the Ocean. I plan to also have it shipped to NYC/ Long Island a couple times per year to cruise around there as well. It will be docked at my NJ shore house on a lift. I am the type of person that will almost imediatley want a bigger boat and that is why I am trying to get a larger boat to start with.
THANKS for your post
Old 12-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reckless32
Welcome.

Hands down go with either the 496Mag or the Mag HO's over the 6.2's unless you're having to watch your spending. That's a heavy boat and it needs the extra torque and ponies. Otherwise you'll end up disatisfied quick.
I do want the 496MAG motors. I am not trying to save money on buying a boat. I just could not understand why the dealer was talking me out of it on a ordered boat where I chose every option that I wanted. I am concerened becuase he told me there is not enough room for the 496 motors on the 310
Old 12-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by open72
welcome to OSO..

so , did you sign the papers for the boat? has the loan gone through etc? all paper work signed or just a deposit?

what dealer told did you buy from if they are telling you that you can change the order?

have you called the bank? will the bank approve that?

imo , you should be looking at buying a used boat , for the amount of depreciation you will take on a new boat , you could buy a good , reliable 24-30 boat...

especially with the market the way it is..
Hey Thanks man!
I signed on the dotted line but that was yesterday! My deposit check is supposed to be mailed tommorow. I can change the boat if I want. I really dont care about depreciation. I care that my family will have the most fun and not really worry about upgrading to a better/bigger or more reliable boat for at least 3 years. My Dad tells me to buy a used 26Ft or so boat as well. BUt I know whats going to happen very quickly after that.

Quick Reply: First Boat- Saying hi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.