Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Conventional V-bottom hydronamics question.......... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/175826-conventional-v-bottom-hydronamics-question.html)

Payton 12-23-2007 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Enforcer2 (Post 2380791)
Okay so now that all the experts are keyed in to this thread, when seting up my outboards on my Midnight which has a 24 degree V with a pad, what height should drives be in relation to bottom. ( I will be going with quads)

On my last Midnight I was running the bullets of the nose cones (Bob's low water pick ups) even with the bottom of the boat. (No pad on old Midnight) Even higher than shown in pict when I added brackets to outers.

Now that my new Midnight has a pad, can I run the drives even higher?? And other than the obvious water pressure what negative effects will it have?

Thanks

I don't see a pad. I see a notched transom. Which still should alow you to raise the drives a little. How much? I have no idea.

Jassman 12-23-2007 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by BillR (Post 2381098)
That is impressive!!!!!
Now I am curious, what changes are made? For example, Macklin said his boat was built w/o a cabin liner, thus the boat is 700lbs lighter. In that instance, what did Harry tell you to change to keep the boat balanced?
Do other manufacturers do this?

Pat, voice is back, I'll call ya next week.

Good question...I should have asked that when I bought my POS single step TG...but, what the hell, It's a Cig, the best boat ever built:rolleyes:

BillR 12-23-2007 10:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jeff,
These pics look familiar?
I believe the dash is from your AT. The other is Thunder Dan's boat.

Back to the thread. . . . . .

Enforcer2 12-23-2007 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Payton (Post 2381207)
I don't see a pad. I see a notched transom. Which still should alow you to raise the drives a little. How much? I have no idea.

Sorry, your right, the 22 Velocity I had a also had a pad and I was remebering how squirelly it would get when I had it right on the " edge" with jack plate up and motor trimmed out. It was even more severe when I took the smalll hook out of the pad.

What are the thoughts on how I high I an go with lower units with the notched transom. Will their be adequate water pressure for motors if I raise loweres so bullets are in line with notched transom?? And I know I will lose a lot of bow lift, I guess all trial an error

And the reason I ask , the transom was set up for 30" centers.......I was thinking I may be able to go with 25"s all the way across.??? I have even seen 30's on centers and 20's on outers

Any insight would be appreciated

Semper Fi 12-23-2007 08:37 PM

I don't know if there's anything that entirely works better than another........it's about the manufacturers preference to build conventional , single step, twin step and 3+ stepped hulls-then ultimately comes down to preference of the customer.

Jassman 12-24-2007 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by BillR (Post 2381291)
Jeff,
These pics look familiar?
I believe the dash is from your AT. The other is Thunder Dan's boat.

Back to the thread. . . . . .

both Dans..my gauge placement were different.

offshoredrillin 12-24-2007 08:02 AM

Now here is another what if for the thread;
Why arent the pad areas on boats running at speed done with a dimple pattern such as on a golf ball. The dimples would provide excellent lift and aeration as well as stability.

BillR 12-24-2007 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2382101)
both Dans..my gauge placement were different.

. . . . . .that's right. Yours was the purple one on the floor at that time. . . . .?

LapseofReason 12-24-2007 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 2382144)
Now here is another what if for the thread;
Why arent the pad areas on boats running at speed done with a dimple pattern such as on a golf ball. The dimples would provide excellent lift and aeration as well as stability.

Fountain did test that a long time ago, I don't know what the outcome was.

Knot 4 Me 12-24-2007 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jassman (Post 2380768)
Where's the 38PP when you need them.:cool:

Every F-4 is a 38PP...albeit in highly modified form!! :cool-smiley-011: It was a great basis for a great hull.