Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Does this advertisement piss anyone else off? >

Does this advertisement piss anyone else off?

Notices

Does this advertisement piss anyone else off?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I finally make the cover of BoatU.S. and it creates a stir.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
RIGHT; I thought of that too, and I like the concept. They are showing you what NOT to do, and selling their wares by rewarding you for NOT being stupid (exampling those stupid things).

The Boat U.S. ad is totally different.
I dunno- I'm seeing what alot of others are- lots of towing mistakes.

In the end, they are selling insurance, which is selling fear and a solution to the unforseeable. Showing pretty girls on a sunny afternoon lounging on a yacht doesn't make me think about my insurance. On the other hand, I don't need a picture in a magazine to inspire me to buy insurance either- I figured that one out all by myself.

If your issue is that the ad casts boaters in a negative light- I think the average boater is doing a bang-up job of that all by themselves.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I don't think it's staged at all.....The boat isn't really all that big either. It just looks like it due to it's angle to the camera. Probably 23-26 feet w/ a 350-454 ci and a Bravo-III drive. Looks to be some skid marks on the road too from bouncing off the trailer to the port side of the tow. Crap like this happens often and we've even seen some pics on this board of one or two of us "perfect boaters" pulling a McFly on occasion....Wish they'd do more stupid pics like this just for the entertainment.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Registered

I hope he had his lanyard on!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if he drove on the road he wouldn't have bounced it off the trailer like that. At least he did stay on his side of the road.
Seems staged to me how could the boat go left on a left hand turn and stay on his side of the road? No sign of jack knifed trailer either.
Just me guess. As far as the ad making me mad. No, don't see a problem.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It did not make me come unglued... but still.

1/2 ton truck (5 lug wheels) with what appears to be a big ass boat that is 10' wide; I'm guessing its over 7000 lbs.
Trailer hitch does not appear to be set up right. (Truck squat, and drop hitch too low.)
Does not appear to have any rear straps.

Whew, at least he invested in the towing mirrors.

I'm not a Boat U.S. insurance customer, but those are EASILY preventable mistakes. I would "come up out of my chair" if I was a Boat U.S. insurance customer, over an advertisement like that.
That boat is not as big as it looks...25ft long 8.5ft wide and a single small block in it....Orca made on the westcoast. The lack of straps I would not dispute
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Maybe if he drove on the road he wouldn't have bounced it off the trailer like that. At least he did stay on his side of the road.
Seems staged to me how could the boat go left on a left hand turn and stay on his side of the road? No sign of jack knifed trailer either.
Just me guess. As far as the ad making me mad. No, don't see a problem.
There is damage to the left front of the truck and they are not in a turn the stripes indicate it is a passing zone.

I also bet the boat is not that heavy.

Maybe he had straps on the back but they broke. Most of the straps that I see on boats will do absolutly zero to help out with much of anything.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, do you know why he's bent ? Because there is no Active thunder boat in the add!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:04 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
what's a blower?
That's that big shiney thing on top the engines that your carbs sit on top of.

We don't know what happened in that pic, Possibly someone cut him off, and he had to swerve to avoid a head on, who knows. That being the case, if he lost control and went off the road, the boat could've easily came off the trailer. Looks like the trailer is in the grass next to the shoulder, and it looks like a alum roller trailer.

It's possible that if all options were correct here, maybe this could've been avoided, but, it happened, and that's what the ins co, is trying to make us see, that although we may do everything in our power to tow safely, there's always that possiblity of having an accident. Even tho we don't think it'll ever happen to one of us.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like the boat ate the trailer

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Does this advertisement piss anyone else off?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.