Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   here is a stupid question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/176409-here-stupid-question.html)

Tom A. 12-31-2007 01:27 PM

Another perk of being on the poker run or racing circuit is actually getting to know alot of the owners and execs. from the boat companies. It is amazing what you learn from some of these high end boat manufactures when you get drunk with them at these runs.:drink:

heavyhauler 12-31-2007 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by nocigarette (Post 2388225)
Ok some of ya on here know me and some dont,i have rebuilt a old magnum and my passion for offshores is almost a sickness....My question is how due i get more involved with either racing or building boats....My wife has given up with trying to talk me out of it, now she is supporting me and my sickness buy pushing me into a carrer change.......I have a little money put away for bills etc.......I was wondering if anybody has done this or thought about it...................Because i know must of us are boat crazy................You would think if a big boat dealer was looking for a rigger or mechanic they could use oso as a resume almost, heck you can follow my rebuild of the mag to a tee....

Did you ever think of trying another project whereby you buy something in need of your talent at a depressed price (it happens to be a buyers market nowdays) that you can rebuild and flip at a profit? You have to buy right so you can sell right or you will end up holding it or losing on it, but I've seen a lot of deals come down the pike lately that could have worked out for greater gain if there were someone who could provide their own labor to gain equity. A lot of these deals are not deals if you buy them and then pay a shop or dealer a ton to get them going. With the soft economy, and high gas prices, people are still going to want high performance pieces but they are not going to want to pay new inflated prices if they can buy a quality used piece for tens of thousand less, that they know has been massaged by a craftsman that knows his work. The $64 question is can you buy something, perform the necessary repairs and sell at a profit, so that each time you can reinvest your profits into the next venture. If you are looking at doing something on your own and you don't have the considerable backing that has been mentioned previously, this is one possibility, and you can still keep your day job until doing this over and over gets you where you want to go monetarily. Also, with the abiltiy to use the internet you can bring the world to you for the purpose of advertising and selling, thus eliminating the need to relocate until you are better able to do so. My $.02.

TeamSaris 12-31-2007 04:13 PM

Keep it as a hobby. You DO NOT want to be in this business. You will get screwed often and good workers are hard to find. More and more marinas are for sale and going out of business for a reason.

Racing-OPA is the most affordable.We plan on making a retursn to the circut in OPA soon.

nocigarette 12-31-2007 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2388281)
If you're well capitalized and in an area where there is heavy recreational boating there are possibilities. If you only want to work on "cool" boats, Michigan might not be the best place. Plus the marine industry is in a significant downturn- fuel is WAY up and the economy is soft. You're going to have to wade in and compete with alot of hungry folks with many years of experience and strong reputations.

Re-doing your own boat is something that someone might be able to be passionate about. Being motivated by showing pride in your workmanship and the anticipation of the fun times to come can mask some of the unpleasantries of doing the work. Doing it day in and day out might not be quite as special an experence for you.

I have a son in college right now and we've been having these career conversations. He wants a career he can be passionate about but he's not really interested in much that will pay the bills in the real world. As I continually point out to him, there isn't a job in the world that will provide you fulfillment if it won't provide for your family- now and into the future. You could have the coolest job in the world but if you can't maintain a decent standard of living, what's the point?

I know what I'd be telling you if you were my son-in-law...

Sound advice thanks chris....

nocigarette 12-31-2007 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by heavyhauler (Post 2388574)
Did you ever think of trying another project whereby you buy something in need of your talent at a depressed price (it happens to be a buyers market nowdays) that you can rebuild and flip at a profit? You have to buy right so you can sell right or you will end up holding it or losing on it, but I've seen a lot of deals come down the pike lately that could have worked out for greater gain if there were someone who could provide their own labor to gain equity. A lot of these deals are not deals if you buy them and then pay a shop or dealer a ton to get them going. With the soft economy, and high gas prices, people are still going to want high performance pieces but they are not going to want to pay new inflated prices if they can buy a quality used piece for tens of thousand less, that they know has been massaged by a craftsman that knows his work. The $64 question is can you buy something, perform the necessary repairs and sell at a profit, so that each time you can reinvest your profits into the next venture. If you are looking at doing something on your own and you don't have the considerable backing that has been mentioned previously, this is one possibility, and you can still keep your day job until doing this over and over gets you where you want to go monetarily. Also, with the abiltiy to use the internet you can bring the world to you for the purpose of advertising and selling, thus eliminating the need to relocate until you are better able to do so. My $.02.

The problem with flipping boats is ya have to sacrifice somewhere to make a buck...I would just like a few customers a year that want good quality work and are not cheap....I really overbuilt my boat because it was a passion and i planned on keeping it, i try to put that kind of effort into anything i due.......Maybe i could just seek employment somewhere for sombody, in the marine field..

dykstra 12-31-2007 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2388281)
If you're well capitalized and in an area where there is heavy recreational boating there are possibilities. If you only want to work on "cool" boats, Michigan might not be the best place. Plus the marine industry is in a significant downturn- fuel is WAY up and the economy is soft. You're going to have to wade in and compete with alot of hungry folks with many years of experience and strong reputations.

Re-doing your own boat is something that someone might be able to be passionate about. Being motivated by showing pride in your workmanship and the anticipation of the fun times to come can mask some of the unpleasantries of doing the work. Doing it day in and day out might not be quite as special an experence for you.

I have a son in college right now and we've been having these career conversations. He wants a career he can be passionate about but he's not really interested in much that will pay the bills in the real world. As I continually point out to him, there isn't a job in the world that will provide you fulfillment if it won't provide for your family- now and into the future. You could have the coolest job in the world but if you can't maintain a decent standard of living, what's the point?

I know what I'd be telling you if you were my son-in-law...

great advice

Edward R. Cozzi 12-31-2007 06:45 PM

Every successful boat builder still in existence has "Paid their Dues"...bigtime. You will have a "No Name" boat for many years until people get comfortable seeing your name on many boats, many times a day. If you service the hell out of your customers and build a decent product at a decent price, you MIGHT make it as a boat builder EVENTUALLY.

I am a firm believer that if you want to get into a new field, talk to somebody who is already doing it and see how happy they are. Most people are happy to share their thoughts with someone who shows genuine interest.

nocigarette 12-31-2007 06:53 PM

My intrest really is not in the boat building buisness(that is almost impossible) I just want to be more involved in racing, rigging and being a bigger part of what is so great about this sport...I am not dumb by any means i just want to help others and due what i love.....When i go to the races 3-4 times a year i find myself in the pits looking and asking questiones about there set up and how the boat is running...I actually like that more than the race itself.....Hell i would be happy just handing tools to someone i can absorb more knowledge from.....I thrive to learn.....Its in my blood.....I cant stop looking, thinking,talking,learning everything there is to know about the sport....

bouyhunter 12-31-2007 07:01 PM

If you want some more practice, come down here and help me put my Pantera project back together - Or, I'll bring it up there. I just don't have a shop space, so I'm stagnant until the weather breaks. I'd also be afraid to shoot paint myself, I just don't have any experience in it.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-31-2007 07:03 PM

Getting involved in high performance boating was the best thing I ever did. I was a late bloomer, as I was 20 years old before I discovered how much I loved flying across the waves on Lake Michigan.

Somebody famous once said: "Find a job you love and you'll never work again".