Notices

here is a stupid question

Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts
Default here is a stupid question

Ok some of ya on here know me and some dont,i have rebuilt a old magnum and my passion for offshores is almost a sickness....My question is how due i get more involved with either racing or building boats....My wife has given up with trying to talk me out of it, now she is supporting me and my sickness buy pushing me into a carrer change.......I have a little money put away for bills etc.......I was wondering if anybody has done this or thought about it...................Because i know must of us are boat crazy................You would think if a big boat dealer was looking for a rigger or mechanic they could use oso as a resume almost, heck you can follow my rebuild of the mag to a tee....
Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you nuts??? never make your hobby your living,you will end up hateing it. I know I did. Good luck
Old 12-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing or building boats = Loose Your Azz. Don't do it! Stay a hobbyist or rig some boats for others on the side.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered

If you want to make a million racing boats, you need to satrt with 2mm
Old 12-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about it lots of times... My family thinks I'm crazy, but do what you love to do and the money will come. We've come to realize I've got the PBO disease (Power Boat Obsession)

Where do you store your Magnum?? I'm in your area all the time. Actually be in Riverview in the next few hours, then off to Macomb for New Years dinner.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ileave it in my one of my dads buildings in flat rock.....It's in my driveway now.....
Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
Racing or building boats = Loose Your Azz. Don't do it! Stay a hobbyist or rig some boats for others on the side.
I know you are probably right.....
Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're well capitalized and in an area where there is heavy recreational boating there are possibilities. If you only want to work on "cool" boats, Michigan might not be the best place. Plus the marine industry is in a significant downturn- fuel is WAY up and the economy is soft. You're going to have to wade in and compete with alot of hungry folks with many years of experience and strong reputations.

Re-doing your own boat is something that someone might be able to be passionate about. Being motivated by showing pride in your workmanship and the anticipation of the fun times to come can mask some of the unpleasantries of doing the work. Doing it day in and day out might not be quite as special an experence for you.

I have a son in college right now and we've been having these career conversations. He wants a career he can be passionate about but he's not really interested in much that will pay the bills in the real world. As I continually point out to him, there isn't a job in the world that will provide you fulfillment if it won't provide for your family- now and into the future. You could have the coolest job in the world but if you can't maintain a decent standard of living, what's the point?

I know what I'd be telling you if you were my son-in-law...
Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Registered

I agree , keep it as a hobby and do some jobs for people on the side. Keep the normal day to day job to pay the bills and support the family.

When you do it for a living on your own you'll have to take whatever comes your way to get by and then it feast or famine. If you do it on the side you can be picky about the jobs you take in and keep your rates low enough that people will be interested in you more, especially if your quality is good.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I too have felt like you and I am posative that if I hit the lottery big I would end up squandering millions building my own boats. That being said, I am enjoying my hobby of poker running. I was blessed in college with the ability to race with an offshore team and pay for it with sweat and blood.
If you are obsessed with racing, there are alot of reasonable classes out there running single 525's and that can be sustained relatively moderately. Building boats is a lossing proposition right now. Look at all the big names right now. I know more than one that laid off over a third of their employees this year. Then there is the finance problem. I could go on and on but won't bore you.
Follow your heart but use your head and maybe you can find a way to expand your obsession without destroying your love and finances. I find traveling to new areas on poker runs has really eased my bug for doing more in the sport.

Quick Reply: here is a stupid question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.