Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone take their dogs out for weekends? >

Anyone take their dogs out for weekends?

Notices

Anyone take their dogs out for weekends?

Old 01-28-2002, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Jay... ...You friggin' crack me up, dude. I'm on your side here, too! The dog thing was definately not my idea either, but after the constant nagging, I had to cave in. After all, I did get a boat amongst other things. After some time though, I love the little guy now, but he's still a pain in the ass! Not the dog really, just having a dog. I mean, I'm the kind of guy that spontaneously decides to go do something and can be out the door in less than a minute...not any more, or take the boat out cruising around and decide, "Hey, let's pull in here and spend the night"...not any more, gotta go let the dog out...you get the idea!
Old 01-28-2002, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Nick, im right there with you brother
my thing was if your going to get a dog, get one that can take a Massive DUMP too
not some tiny little thing
but I have grown to love her but the responsibility is a pain
my dog is so tiny though that I think I can curb her on the swim platform and just wash it away and it is not really a big deal
hell im sure some fish **** is bigger than my dogs crap
so poluting waters is not really a big thing with this dog ya know
im just trying to be responsible and see how dogs + boats mix but nothing come hell or high water is going to stop me from going out this summer,
Hell im starting to think, scrap the engine making the noise and get a rebuilt long block cause I dont want to spend 2-3 weeks tearing this one apart, get her fixed, painted and ready to go
WOOHOO come on spring!!!
Jay
Old 01-28-2002, 04:26 PM
FA18Driver

Talking

Jay as for the Dogs and boats mixing, I took my boat out yesterday (well sorta took it out) and after finding the dead trim pump problem we sat and drank beer and watched the boats come and go in Kemah. Well to say the least there must have been 15 to 20 boats with dogs on em all seemed to be having a good time. Now as for the poop in the water thing I thought there was a law against dumping poop over the side

Old 01-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Allan4

Yo Daze, just take a dump on the platform and then show the dog where you piled it up. That'll learn her!!! That dog will be ****ting like clock work all over everyones platforms!!

Jay........christ, you need a dog like you need a hole in the head. Just imagine the distance you could cast a 3.5 dog with a surf rod and a treble hook Just lip the dog for less blood shed

Just kidding everyone, I just had to bury my 12 year old lab a month ago, just messing with ole' jay here.......

Old 01-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Allan, too quiet lately.
I had to resurect one of your all-time(Oso All-Time) quotes the other day. Look it up. LMAO!

I know that the second I start ****ting on the swim platform the coasties are going to show up and well...They don't want to see that. As for the dog, Hell that son-of-a-***** won't go anywhere near the swim platform after the time him and I both went for a little plunge.

But even before that, he would hang out on it, just wouldn't you know what...He insisted on christening on the cabin....Which I would not stand for.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:16 PM
WES311SR1

Thumbs down

I like dogs and other animals ,but on the water in a boat? only if you keep the dog "IN YOUR BOAT" . we have a sand bar that we hang-out at , and by within a hour or so there are three, four or more dogs running,pissing,****ting fighting and throwing sand everywhere. while there owners just act like "LOOK HOW CUTE".

Old 01-28-2002, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

To some people those dogs are their kids. I have 2 maltese 1 weighs 7 lbs the other 5 lbs. I have to take them to shore to do the biz. When going fast I just put 1 behind me in the bolster and 1 behind my wife. Small dogs get plenty of exercize on the boat. Just watch out they like to stand on the engine cover and put their head into the wind. Also small dogs can get hypothermic in only a few minutes so dry them off fast.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hey, I have a DOG !! take him strolling whenever I feel like it and he COMES at my command!!!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Charter Member #1472
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Jayl13, you sound alot like us. We have dogs, rather than children. We're in our mid 30's and absolutely, positively no kids. We also want to someday have the larger Sonic!!! The dogs you can leave home when ya want. When we had our Baja, one of German Shepherds would do her #1 on sundeck, which we would rinse off, no biggy. She has since passed on, and none of the other four have mastered this. They won't even do there business in the boat, which, I know sounds sick but sometimes would be better (carpet comes out every week to be shampoos anyway)than trying to find some place to take them with all of the "NO DOGS ALLOWED" signs. Thats is the only issue, finding a place for there business. I get soo aggavated, our local launch has one of these signs, so every time we bring the dogs with us to go out in the boat, while we are launching or putting on trailer wiping boat down, never fails someone calls cops. The dogs are on leashes, by my side. I say "how the heck are we suppose to launch the boat", they say "we could write you a ticket and you have to fight it in court".
As for riding, they act like its a car, w/ the perks of getting to go swimming. It's very difficult to get them back in the boat though even on island because of swim platform on Sonic being soo high up. Of course our dogs, are much larger, German Shepherds, and German Shepherd/Timber wolf mix. We had two this past summer, but Santa brought a 3rd G. Shep. pup for Christmas.
This year we're gonna build a outside kennel for them while we go in boat, 3 x 85 lb dogs tends to slow the boat down, can't have that!!!!!
Old 01-29-2002, 12:37 AM
Intolerant1

We have a 90 pound Golden Retriever that boats with us. He pees off the swim platform on command. We were swimming at the power plant just south of South Haven MI one afternoon when the dog went after on object moving along in the water. Turns out it was a guys snorkel. Dog almost drown the guy.