Notices

Speaker quesion

Old 01-28-2002, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Speaker quesion

2002 ford crew cab .
I have older Kicker sub boxes that go behind the seat in a truck . They are big boxes ,about 29" wide each. They have 8" subs and about a 10 or 12"
round foam speaker looking thing next to it .(forget what they call that thing ! ) And a horn tweeter on top .
when I had this in my old truck it had a good thump to it with only 100 watts per side .But it sounded like crap if it wasn't muffled behind the seat and had terible highs ! I am about to put it in my new truck now and desided to take a look inside . THere is NO crossover ! the "+" wire splits and goes to the sub and tweeter and the "-" splits and goes to the sub and tweeter .
How can the speakers tell highs from lows ? Would it be better to use a cross over ? If so what kind ? (keep in mind ,I know nothing. please explain)I thought about not using the horn tweeter in the box and instead either put a better full range in factory cab corner mount or put seperate tweeter on REAR door( crew cab) and only use sub in box . I have polk audio seperates for front door speakers . What should I do with these boxes ? Dosen't that also pull them down to 2 ohms with 2 speakers in the box and no cross over ? HElp ....................

Old 01-28-2002, 07:43 AM
FWK

Boot that foam thing is a passive radiator.Your thinking in putting some thing in the factory locations would be a good idea. The truck will sound a lot better. Replace the subs with something better and get rid of the tweeters. I am not really a fan of 8 inch subs, but if that box fits use it. There are probably some caps and coils on the speakers. The woofer and the tweeter are probably 8 ohm so you are seeing a 4 ohm load. Hope ths helps Forrest

Old 01-28-2002, 09:18 AM
Registered

thanks forrest ! you are probably right with the 8 ohms . never thought about that .thanks!

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: boot ]
Old 01-28-2002, 09:33 AM
Registered

I was thinking of adding a tweeter just above the seat back ,above the factory corner speaker or put one in the rear door . It needs something in the back real bad ! Sound is real muffled !
Old 01-28-2002, 09:36 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Boot: I suggest you get rid of the box as well. Sorry man but those things are built out of partical board not MDF, and they flex like crazy. Forrest is correct with the large foam looking thing being a passive radiator. The 8" subs if you have two should be enough in your truck because the cab is relativly small. Ask Biggus Dikkus what his truck sounds like with the single 8" sub and box I built for him. It goes REAL low. The problem with going to a larger sub is that you have very limited room behind your seat and it does not move, so the box has to be custom built. A sub to work properly has to go into a VERY specific enclosure. I am going to be building a box for my truck. If you are interested I can just make two. You DEFINATLY have to cross over the box to keep the highs out. Those boxes like the ones you have are set up for Full range operation, and at leaste the last one I saw the sub did run full range and the tweeter was crossed over with a cap, but it was a week crossover at best.

Jon
Old 01-28-2002, 02:37 PM
FWK

Boot Let Jon Build a box for you with a good sub in it and use as set of seperates in the rear. It will sound a lot better the only concern you have is the location of the tweeters. f you care about the sound and not the passengers put them where they sound the best. Forrest