Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tulip intake valves again (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/176530-tulip-intake-valves-again.html)

inthered 01-02-2008 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33 (Post 2390163)
What do you have for ignition boxes on this boat? Do you set total or do you set initual and add the boxes to it? Also how did you adjustt the valves? All food for thought. And do you have vacuum secondarys or Mechanical?

I checked the ignition boxes the other day, and what a suprise I got, one is a V-8- 24, the other is a V-6-14, so I know that I will need to get at least one new box, like I said I got the boat last year and it ran fine for a while, and then problems, I was setting the total time to 34 deg, however maybe I'll back that down to 30 deg. the plugs all looked good, untill I statred having problems, then I would check them they would be wet, not fuel wet, water wet, what I think might have happened was the first time I ran it hard, I blew it up, it was a head gasket, and the second time maybe timing, or pre-ignition

Strip Poker 388 01-02-2008 12:43 PM

Anybody know if water from leaking exhaust tulip a valve?

VetteLT193 01-02-2008 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 2390313)
Anybody know if water from leaking exhaust tulip a valve?

Yes that could happen. But... It's more likely that it's tuliped from heat because of a lean condition... then, once it's tuliped the valve never seated right (obviously, LOL) combine that with an aggressive cam and it will suck water back while idling back to the dock.

inthered 01-02-2008 06:14 PM

Okay, I think I got the right answer, it seems to me I am experiencing a brain fart, you are all right and I’m wrong (along with a bunch of my friends) I think it’s pre ignition and not reversion, when it was running good I was told that I needed to be turning more RPM’s, I was running about 4800, I was told that I should be about 5800 RPM’s, seems like too much, but I said okay let me re-adjust the timing, I did and the was on the trailer again, Oh and by the way just got out of the hot tub with the wife and a few beers later, so I hope that I make sense, if not have a d ink, anyway I will let my timing to 30 deg, and see how it runs in the spring, I just love my boat, I also hope that all of you at OSO have a great, fun and fast season in 08:cool-smiley-027:

VetteLT193 01-03-2008 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by inthered (Post 2390770)
Okay, I think I got the right answer, it seems to me I am experiencing a brain fart, you are all right and I’m wrong (along with a bunch of my friends) I think it’s pre ignition and not reversion, when it was running good I was told that I needed to be turning more RPM’s, I was running about 4800, I was told that I should be about 5800 RPM’s, seems like too much, but I said okay let me re-adjust the timing, I did and the was on the trailer again, Oh and by the way just got out of the hot tub with the wife and a few beers later, so I hope that I make sense, if not have a d ink, anyway I will let my timing to 30 deg, and see how it runs in the spring, I just love my boat, I also hope that all of you at OSO have a great, fun and fast season in 08:cool-smiley-027:

4800 is a bit low, probably need to be in the low 5000 range... but, low RPM's could come from a million things (props, engine alignment, etc). good luck regardless

bobkatz 01-03-2008 07:04 AM

At what RPM are you checking the timing?

inthered 01-03-2008 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by bobkatz (Post 2391278)
At what RPM are you checking the timing?

Timing checked @3000RPM

bobkatz 01-03-2008 07:43 AM

I'm going back 20 years but I thought full advance was well above 3K. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can chime in.

Katz

OldSchool 01-03-2008 07:55 AM

I'm not a mechanic or anything, but if there was reversion...wouldn't that effect the exhaust valves from the cold water hitting the hot valves??????

I think that he said that it's just the intake valves that are getting tulipped.

VetteLT193 01-03-2008 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by bobkatz (Post 2391338)
I'm going back 20 years but I thought full advance was well above 3K. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can chime in.

Katz

Without using a book (hazy memory) I think the range is 2500-3000 RPM so that should be ok:)