Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
where did the baja hulls come from?? >

where did the baja hulls come from??

Notices

where did the baja hulls come from??

Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where did the baja hulls come from??

tried searching, came up with nothing, even did some google, but does anyone know where those hulls came from, mostly the 420 and outlaw hulls, what were they splashed from?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

They were splashed from Skaters like everything else

just kid'n those hull are quite possibly original (it does happen) they are capable of lofting their own plugs, but this is just a guess for me.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Baja has been around forever and is a large boat builder. Not only do they have little need to splash anything, none of their hulls would be anything you might call revolutionary. Basic 24 degree vees.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was gonna say it was splashed from a Bayliner - but I'll take a lot of heat for that.

Baja isn't a bad hull, just from my experience, it's on the lower end of performance hulls.
Forgive me if I once again have an unpopular opinion - I'm not necessarily known for the popular opinion thing around here.

To answer your query, I think Dave is right. I've never heard of a Baja hull being splashed from another boat. I think they may be original design, but based off proven hulls.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Isnt the 36 a 35 Cig hull??
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered

thats what made me wonder if they came from anything, because they are just a straight vee 24 degree, could have came from anywhere, maybe they did make there own??
Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered

Yeah...the older 36 was a Cig mold, but since Baja was bought by Brunswick (parent company of Sea-Ray, Mercury Marine and many others) they have plenty of capitol to be designing their own hulls. They are one of the only manufacturers to be using wind tunnel testing to increase speed...after all, more of the boat is cutting through the air than is though water. I read where they gained 2-3 mph with the deck design of the 30 Outlaw. Even the tappered corners at the side/transom affected the speed....very interesting.

http://www.bajamarine.com/index.asp?...science&tab=1&
Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Didn't it get started at Chekmate?
Old 01-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
Didn't it get started at Chekmate?
Yes, it did. The owner of Checkmate and the original owner of Baja were in business together back in the 60's. In fact, the owner of Checkmate was a boat dealer that got into the boat building business back in the late 50's, early 60's.

There was a parting of the ways sometime in the 60's and Baja was born using one of the 16' Checkmate molds. Baja was eventually bought by Brunswick after bouncing around a bit. I'm not sure if the original Baja owner sold it to Brunswick or if it has some intermediate ownership. The late 80's, early 90's were tough for Baja and it's from that period that they got such a bad performance / quality reputation.

BTW, I know this because my father bought one of the first Checkmate hulls as well as a resale boat from Bill Combs, the founder of Checkmate, before Checkmate was born. It wasn't pretty from what he told me, porpoised so bad they took the boat back and replaced it with a redesigned version. That was back around '59 or 60, I think. My father has passed so I can't ask him for details.

Last edited by mjw930; 01-03-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Registered

I'm also pretty sure the Brunswick Marine has a 5 axis CnC setup that cuts the hull and deck plugs instead of using the older, manual method of building plugs by hand.

Quick Reply: where did the baja hulls come from??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.