Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Vintage used boat pricing question >

Vintage used boat pricing question

Notices

Vintage used boat pricing question

Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mjw I Really Like The Lines On The Classic Donzis - Really Good Looking Boats - The 22 Classic Is What I like The Best - About Bought One But It Sold Out From Under Me - I Agree With JnT - If Its What You Want And The Price Is Right For You - Buy It !!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chef26
mjw I Really Like The Lines On The Classic Donzis - Really Good Looking Boats - The 22 Classic Is What I like The Best - About Bought One But It Sold Out From Under Me - I Agree With JnT - If Its What You Want And The Price Is Right For You - Buy It !!
That's the plan. I'm awaiting a call back from the owner with his "firm" price and if it's in my comfort zone then I'll do the deal. Of course contingent on inspection and sea trial. I fully expect it to be within my range considering what I originally offered.

I'll probably pay a bit more than the prevailing average price but that's the price of getting a boat rigged the way I want it.

It's the rare case of the seller finding that one person who is willing pay extra for the custom rigging. Usually the seller can kiss that money good buy.

Another thing playing against me is the seller is actually on the fence about selling all together. I get the sense this isn't a "must sell" situation.

Oh well, sometimes you have to pay to play
Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

just tell him , look , this is what i have ($$$) to purchase the boat , can we make this happen or not. if the answer is no ,then move on ...

that will tell you whether he is on the fence or not..
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by open72
just tell him , look , this is what i have ($$$) to purchase the boat , can we make this happen or not. if the answer is no ,then move on ...

that will tell you whether he is on the fence or not..
Then go home and wait for the phone to ring
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I will tell you when I got my 18 the guy was asking a little to much money for it. I offered him 1/3 of what he was asking. We could not agree on a price but I told him that if he changed his mind it was sold at price X. He called a week later and I drove over and picked it up.

You never know with people. Like everyone has said offer him what you will be happy paying. If he says NO then tell him that if he changed his mind to call you.

Jon
Old 01-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is hard to tell from the small images, although it looks like a nice ride.. If all the work that was done, was done right then the guy should have more into the boat then he is asking.. That said it doesnt mean the boat will necessarily bring that kind of money back all of the time.. As far as what it is really worth is up to you. You may want to take into consideration the ammount of time on the engine, drive & hull, As well as the interior & overall condition.. Then compare it to what a new one would be similarly equipped as well as the value of a used one that is stock for that year.. If you look at all of these things as a whole and everything is on the up & up, then his asking doesnt sound bad.. Just make an offer based onn all of the good & bad points that you are comfy with & see what happens... Good luck in your quest.. Jamie / Lakeside

Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mjw930

It seems that "dumping a lot of money into it" and boats always end up in the same sentence....... It also seems that older Donzi owners, especially Classic Donzi owners have no problem dumping thousands into these boats. There are a lot of boats out there that people like but older Donzi owners seem to have a particular passion (sickness).

the virus as we call comes in many forms but the same basic thing is there, the people that have it have had it for a long time and they remember the first time they heard and saw a classic and it was not a 22 it was a hornet or a 16 or 18 as the 22 is a relative newbie to the classic line added in 1978 in it's first form the criterion then the 2+3 sometime after.
the 16 and 18 classics designed by Wynn and Walters and produced by Don Aronow really were the start of high performance boating for the masses.
Some infected with the virus go for styling, some go for the history, some just for the speed.

So you have to ask yourself what you want, what you want to pay and what you are capable of doing yourself.

so a person who wants an old original boat for the history collectible aspect would not want a painted boat or heavily modified boat , but might pay more foran older original faded gel cote boat

someone talented in paint and glass might take a hammered boat and bring it back to life. and pay peanuts for the boat and put in a fortune of their time and talent

someone who is a real motor head might take a boat and make it a real screamer. might have a ton of money into the motor but has built a boat that no one but him wants or can handle

I started with the virus as a young boy and said someday I would have donzi classic, i am not a glass guy or a motor head so i choose a clean turn key boat that i paid more for than the average boat but it didn't need anything

but the virus spread, i have done things to the boat that if you told me 10 years ago I would say yeah right put down the crack pipe
just remember once bitten you can never have enough HP,speed,bling,or donzi stuff

this virus as other strains too seems from hanging with the Cigarette guys at their 20 foot run they have been bitten too

the older Aronow boats seem to hold their value well with decent care. an older cig ,magnum, or donzi,formula from back in the day still have fans that want them
plus they were built pretty well all my 40 year old classic has ever needed was a new upper on the 35 year old drive , a motor freshening in 2000 and a gas tank in 2003.
good luck on the search

Mattyboy
Lake George Donzi Classic club

Last edited by mattyboy; 01-04-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is my brother's boat.

The carb is actually a Demon, I screwed that up on the for sale post over on Donzi.net

The boat is done right, it also has a kick azz marine stereo with powered sub and bose speakers.

The interior is candy striped, I know I've posted pictures of it here before.

I took it out with him on the shake out ride with the new engine. Runs great.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Matty.. I think ther are more than boaters that do this too.. Look at some of the truck guys or car guys.. Some are purists & some like it all custom.. Everyone is different & thats what makes these sports cool.. Jamie
Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
This is my brother's boat.

The carb is actually a Demon, I screwed that up on the for sale post over on Donzi.net

The boat is done right, it also has a kick azz marine stereo with powered sub and bose speakers.

The interior is candy striped, I know I've posted pictures of it here before.

I took it out with him on the shake out ride with the new engine. Runs great.
Yep, I talked to him at length last night and everything seems to be done right and he gave me the history of the boat.

Now all he has to do is call me back, I don't think I insulted him with my offer since he didn't hang up on me so now it's just a waiting game.

If it wasn't such a long drive (6 hours) I would have already been over to take a look. With the travel time involved I want to be sure it's right and we are agreed on a price so I only have to make one trip.

I'm not into low balling someone then waiting for a return phone call, that's not my style. I try to treat them as I would want to be treated and hope to arrive at a price both of us are comfortable with.

Quick Reply: Vintage used boat pricing question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.