Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
need some help here!! Which boat? >

need some help here!! Which boat?

Notices

need some help here!! Which boat?

Old 01-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help here!! Which boat?

Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for some time....

Need a little advice. Through all of my seaches it seems you guys are an extremely knowledgable group.

I am looking at two boats:

a 38' Fountain fever and a 38' KV scarab

Assuming both are in good shape (according to survey)...

Which would be the better boat mainly in terms of seaworthiness.

I will be using her mainly on the western side of lake michigan, however if I do someday choose to make that cross lake journey I want to know I'm covered.

Thanks for your replies!

Last edited by nmogren; 01-06-2008 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

The KV Scarab will be heavier and ride better and is a few feet longer. The Fountain will be faster with like power. If you are asking about similar year boats with similar options and prices, you will need to post some more info about each boat to get good answers.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Lake Michigan! Go with the 45 Apache in the classifieds.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o14820-en.html
Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 AM
Registered

Some info on the two boats:

1987 kv 38' scarab Twin 454's rebuilt(under 100 hrs)- Hull and boat are in good shape

1991 38' fountain fever twin 500 hp mercruisers, rebuilt (
~150 hrs). Hull an boat are in good shape

I like both paint jobs... the scarab would definitely take a little more work to get it ready for the season (installation of cosmetic, saftey and creature comfort parts).

As far as price, I feel that I can get a good deal (on account of the market) on either one of them.

hope this helps.
thanks!!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Registered

IMO, if you haven't crossed a lake yet.... you are probably a newer boater. I think that the Scarab would be a more forgiving platform to learn on. All things being equal. The Fountain would be less forgiving when you get to the edge of the control envelope. (Also why it would be faster)

Be very careful with inspection of stringers, transom, tabbing on an older wellcraft. An 87 wellcraft hull in great shape would be something possibly to snag. They are getting rare.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
The KV Scarab will be heavier and ride better and is a few feet longer. The Fountain will be faster with like power. If you are asking about similar year boats with similar options and prices, you will need to post some more info about each boat to get good answers.

Griff hit it on the head. Both good boats but personally, I'm drawn to the classic lines of the 38KV. Think of it in car terms, the KV Scarab is like a '69 Mach 1 Mustang, looks cool as hell. The 38 Fountain is like a 5.0 Mustang. The 5.0 will probably be faster but the old Mach 1 will draw all the attention.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, does the Scarab have TRS or Bravo's? And what about the Fountain? I personally like TRS but are somewhat of a bugger to find parts for now a days.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
IMO, if you haven't crossed a lake yet.... you are probably a newer boater. .
-Not really the case here, newer to the larger offshore boats, not new to boating... I grew up boating on the eastern side of lake michigan (Muskegon) and now have a place on the western side of the lake (Racine). Aside from a 26' sailboat we owned, I've never really had the proper boat to do a lake crossing...21' four winns, 26' baja CD (the baja will be for sale soon). All the trips I've done have been costal cruises with overnight stays. FINALLY, now I'm in a position to make the jump to a little larger boat, and have a little more "fun". Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming!!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
Griff hit it on the head. Both good boats but personally, I'm drawn to the classic lines of the 38KV. Think of it in car terms, the KV Scarab is like a '69 Mach 1 Mustang, looks cool as hell. The 38 Fountain is like a 5.0 Mustang. The 5.0 will probably be faster but the old Mach 1 will draw all the attention.
Yup I agree totaly. You might see a KV every now and then but the Fountian will be everywhere, and the KV will have more room all the way around.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Without a doubt I'd go with the KV if it's in good shape.
Classic lines, crusher of a hull.

Quick Reply: need some help here!! Which boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.