Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sunglasses: What lens color? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/176813-sunglasses-what-lens-color.html)

VetteLT193 01-07-2008 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by BradH (Post 2395917)
I like a gray/blue mirror from Costa up there...especially since most of my time is spent looking at shoals and water colors and not at the plotter. Brother likes an amber/brown...I won't touch them. Test the glasses with the plotter...they like to "cancel" each other out.

And there is a difference; buy GOOD glasses. Brad.

I have the blue costa's too. They were sent out to have my prescription done

Tom A. 01-07-2008 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart (Post 2395993)
I like my polarized Oaklies. They wrap fairly tight so the chance of blowing off isn't as great. And, the lense quality seems good.

Ditto!:cool:

I also keep a selection, 2-3 pairs of cheap $5-10 sunglasses for those that forget to bring them!

gerritm 01-07-2008 10:06 AM

I have a custom pair of prescription, dark gray, motorcycle style glasses with the foam around the eye cups. Keeps my eyes from watering at high speeds and I can use them for my bike. The company that made mine is called Heavyglare.com, they offer all different kinds of frames and lens combinations either prescription or non. I have lost 2 pairs of very expensive prescription sunglasses due to looking back and the wind catching them, and these won't do that and the darker gray keeps the glare down from the water.

Semper Fi 01-07-2008 10:36 AM

Polarized are great for avoiding the suns rays, however, they will usually make it hard to see anything with a screen (GPS, ATM, TV, etc.........

baja bailey 01-07-2008 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi (Post 2396355)
Polarized are great for avoiding the suns rays, however, they will usually make it hard to see anything with a screen (GPS, ATM, TV, etc.........

I have noticed this too with my polarized Oakleys...

Tbonepmp 01-07-2008 10:53 AM

Revo H20's polarized...

CigDaze 01-07-2008 11:23 AM

I'm partial to glasses which simply darken, call it whatever you like: black, gray, smoke.
I've never liked tinted glasses, like those yellow, orange, tan, etc. lenses. I feel they distort contrast too much.
And as a boater, polarized is a must to take the edge off water glare.

rainmn 01-07-2008 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tbonepmp (Post 2396386)
Revo H20's polarized...

Same here.

fund razor 01-09-2008 12:19 PM

I used to like the gradient artic grey gargoyles. When I looked down inside the boat they had less tint, but when I looked out to the horizon they had more tint. It was like bifocals for tinting. It worked well for boating.

BeakBoater35 01-09-2008 12:41 PM

Hi folks. Thank you so much for your replies!

I decided to keep my amber lens for partly sunny days and dark grey polarized for bright sunny days. I am also going to try polarized amber-brown mostly brown) for moderately sunny days and general purpose wear.

Thanks again for the input!

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35 (Post 2395367)
What color lens are reccommended for sunglasses used to pilot a go-fast boat?

I boat on the Saint Lawrence River and use a GPS plotter with a black & white screen.