Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Noob needs help selecting first go-fast... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/177014-noob-needs-help-selecting-first-go-fast.html)

cigrocket 01-09-2008 09:13 AM

Narrow it down to the boats that you like. Have the ones you are interested in surveyed. Test drive if possible. Make an offer. The market is tough now, it is a buyers market. He who shows up with real money and no BS will get a great deal. You would be suprised to see how low people will go to sell. They will still be making more then if they traded in at a dealer.

BY U BOY 01-09-2008 10:05 AM

Sonic will give you some nice creature comforts for the ladies.

dreamer 01-09-2008 10:18 AM

if ur new id go with the donzi....

its sounds like ur not that hardcore... ( willing to pay 2x for an old boat with an indian on the side)

stock merc power newer and stepped is the way to go... newer interior and styling gauges and shifters....
and gas is gonna be way cheaper

fund razor 01-09-2008 10:39 AM

I agree on the Donzi from what I've read.

baddogz28 01-09-2008 04:01 PM

Those all look like nice choices. You would always have bragging rights with the Apache, even if slower than a beak boat with the same motors. The Apache is likely to hold it's value best, like a very special muscle car.

We have a 1988 Sonic 30SS, cruised all over the place in it, stayed on it up to ten days at a time. The sliding cushion that goes under the v berth is genius, and we prefer sleeping on that boat to sleeping at home. TONS of room with a separate head, and THAT is critical IMO. You might want to check those out, as most agree the Sonic 30SS is the biggest and most user friendly inside.

The Y2K 30 foot Superboat with a single in it is a great choice also, but a bit cramped inside. One of the newer fuel injected singles is going to be super reliable and much cheaper to operate. Hence the attraction of the Superboat if cruising long distances.
Thanks for the info on the sonic and the Superboat... I will look into them. Not going to be spending too many overnights on the boat I'd guess, but you never know.

What is your boating exp. Is this your first boat or your first performance boat?

Jon
This is my first boat, period. I have learned quite a bit from going out on (and operating from time to time) my friend's 88 scarab 3 34'... He's a member on the board under 'layzdunck.' I have been doing a lot of research about the do's and don't's of powerboating by reading a lot of books on boating and of course, spending a lot of time on OSO. I'm the type of obsessive personality that absorbs information like a sponge any time I am going to get into something new, and I don't like the idea of doing anything irresponsably.

Of the boats you have listed, I (personally) would probably lean toward the Pantera. The Apache and the Pantera are both going to handle big water better than the Donzi, but the Donzi is probably going to be much more economical to operate given the 2xsmall block engines. Definitely have a survey done on any of them (you'll probably have to anyway if you're financing). It's true that the Apache will probably hold value the best, but most Apaches I've seen have been beat on pretty good. They are made to withstand it, though. Resale value is kinda screwy right now 'cause the boat market sucks.
Good info, thanks. I was leaning toward something like the Apache at first, but the more recent, but still badass Pantera and more reliable Donz probably would make a better buy for my situation I think...

My buddy had a 28 Donzi just like that (but blue..)

Morderate stock power was very reliable and bravo drives overkill for that power package (which is a good thing!). Great overall boat. I am not going to get in to stepped or non-stepped; just please make sure you learn how to drive it before really running it..

Fly around and check them all out in person- it will be less expensive than what you would lose getting a boat you are unhappy with and then having to sell it...

I am sure you know this but even if you buy exactly what you think you want, holding on to your 1st boat for more than 1-2 years doesn't happen very often...
How was your friend's Donzi on the top end? The reliability and cost of operating small block power is appealing but at what cost to performance?

Budget will make or kill you on your first offshore. Be prepared for insurance, fuel, repairs, etc. Also, if you're towing, remember you won't be pulling a 30+ foot boat with twins all that safely or legally with an F-150.

Your listed parameters sound pretty much right on. Don't make the mistake of hurrying this process- unless you're prepared to write some big checks to bail yourself out. I've seen beautiful boats at nice prices that were nightmares underneath. A profesional high-performance survey is a must. You're at a little of a disadvantage since a sea trial isn't an option this time of year but a good surveyor will work you around this.

You're going to have to navigate a delicate balance between...

Year
Name Brand
Size
Power/drives
Condition.

Decide in advance what you're willing to compromize on and that will make your decisions easier.
I'm not going to just blow for the first thing I see, that's for sure... That's why I am doing all the research I can now... Probably not buying for 3-5 months yet.

Narrow it down to the boats that you like. Have the ones you are interested in surveyed. Test drive if possible. Make an offer. The market is tough now, it is a buyers market. He who shows up with real money and no BS will get a great deal. You would be suprised to see how low people will go to sell. They will still be making more then if they traded in at a dealer.
Money talks I am sure with so many people having trouble obtaining financing. Thanks for the help.

So, any other makes or models I should consider?

At this point, I think something like the Donzi or Baja would probably make the most sense.

:ernaehrung004:

MILD THUNDER 01-09-2008 04:13 PM

Chris, I heard you were shopping! For what you want to be doing, I would suggest

Late 80's Formula 311. Good rough water boat, built well, readily available. With 800HP total , should be around 70mph boat.

Cigarette Bullet. 31ft, good rough water boat, and its a cig.

Older 33ft(10meter) fountain's were good, fast with mild power, and the ones I have seen hold up well on the big lake. Just ask Frank Holas from the CPC club, he has one that runs 100MPH, Ive seen him outrun lots of bigger badder boats with his boat.

My Excalibur is sold, and Im now shopping for something faster and smaller. Looking at 32-35ft boats. The big wave crushers are nice for cruising and looking cool, but they honestly get pretty boring tooling around at 55mph. Plus I want to do more poker run and loto trips, and its a lot easier with a 32 on the hitch than a 15k lb 40ft tank back there!

MILD THUNDER 01-09-2008 04:19 PM

By the way Chris, I know someone who has a early 90's like 91 or 92 28ft pantera with twin 454's for 25g with a trailer right here on the south side. Might be of interest to you.

baddogz28 01-09-2008 04:19 PM

You got that right... I certainly don't want to pull an abrams. ;)

I'll look into those for sure. I really don't want to go much bigger than a 30, cuz I wanna have some trailering flexibility. I'll certainly be down to cruise to LOTO later in the year, when I get used to handling whatever heap I pic up. Ha.

When I pick it up, I think I am going to haul it up to twin lakes, WI, by my friend Pat's lake house, so I can get really comfortable with handling the boat before I get out on the big lake. His dad will laugh his ass off when he sees me doing circles on Lake Elizabeth. LOL.

Airpacker 01-09-2008 05:14 PM

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o20536-en.html

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19199-en.html

two here that seem to fit the bill.

la-zdunck 01-09-2008 05:34 PM

don't waste your time with small blocks. this is offshore powerboating here, leave your gas mileage concerns to your daily commute. not to mention the donzi is ugly.

i think a trip out by tommy houston will help with your decision. e-mail joe (mild thunder) for that info.

don't worry, we'll help you find the right boat when you're ready.