Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is BLISTERING a bad thing? >

Is BLISTERING a bad thing?

Notices

Is BLISTERING a bad thing?

Old 01-28-2002, 08:08 PM
RUNNINHORN

Post Is BLISTERING a bad thing?

Well, ive been looking at boats recently, and havent really decided on one thing in particular. Today I get an email back from a guy about a boat that he owns, that sounds like a pretty decent deal--except the fact that the boat he said was "blistering". What exactly is that? Here is his description of it--
"YES UNFORTUNATELY THE HULL STARTED BLISTERING TWO YEARS AGO BUT THEy ARE LIKE MUMPS UNDER THE WATER LINE NOT BROKEN BLISTERS. DOES NOT HURT PERFORMANCE OR FUNCTION ONLY COSMETIC LOOKS."

So is that a really bad thing or not? Here is a description of the actual boat--

"1994 Baja Outlaw , 24' Eagle Double Axle Trailer with surge brakes. 502 Mag EFI-225 Freshwater hours on boat and engine; new gil thru hull offshore exhaust, 23 pitch balanced and blueprinted Mirage prop; new hydromotive nose cone professionally installed; new Warlock drive shower; new trim on throttle; Kiekhaffer controls; Faria gauges; dual ram trim tabs; dual batteries new in 1997; new installed heavy duty guest battery charger/doubles as shore power; Clarion CD player/amp 4 speaker system; Uniden offshore radio head; Full gray mooring cover; sunbrella sunshade; boat bumpers; anchors; power hatch; Halon; compass; meticoulsly maintained; very good overall condition."

he is asking $20k, is it worth it even though its blistering, or should i avoid a blistering boat like the plague?

Old 01-28-2002, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blistering is when water gets in between the gelcoat and the fibergass. Blisters usaully mean it spent alot of time sitting in the water i think...
Old 01-28-2002, 08:19 PM
RUNNINHORN

Is it expensive to fix?

Old 01-28-2002, 08:21 PM
Registered

I do not know.. I have never had to deal with it.. I just know its not a good thing
Old 01-28-2002, 08:22 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Well my 97 Baja 272 did it, I got an estimate of $6,000,,, I cried complained and threatened to buy a competetors boat next time and they are warrantying it for me. Now I can buy the 342 instead of having to go to a PQ.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's a fantastic site which pretty much covers all there is to know about blisters.
http://yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm

(Remove the blisters.htm and you have a great resource covering all issues of boat-building.)

Blisters are a nasty cosmetic plague which can and will infect much of the boat if allowed to. Blisters are not all too uncommon, yet should not occurr when the proper requirements are met during boat-building. It is not isolated to any one manufacturer, as problems can occurr any-time humans are involved in manufacturing. It mainly has to do with an error or product defect within the gelcoat. It can be bad materials from the gel vendor, it could occurr because of poor cleanliness on the mold, contaniments, environmental factors, on and on...Basically the gel is not adhering to the glass properly and is not fully cured. As it cures over years it out-gasses and results in blisters. While easy to fix, if neglected and they begin to seperate and peel or burst naturally water will intrude and jeopardize the fundamental resin matrix in the fiberglass hull. Take a look at the boat and if it is still repairable, it might not be a bad deal. Determine how wide-spread it is and see if you can wheel and deal with the seller. Worst comes to worse, get a survey and get an estimate. Might make for a nice discount!

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Baja Daze ]
Old 01-28-2002, 08:28 PM
DJD
Registered

Traviss is right!
I've heard Baja boats have a little problem with this.
Blisters are usually the size of a quarter and depending on the sevarity, can be repaired for a decent price. They are repaired by gringing off each "blister" and the surrounding area, applying resin or glass (depending on sevarity), fairing out and then applying a vynilester (sp?) primer and finish coat.
Blisters don't mean the end of a hull, just a few $$ to fix it right.
While looking at used boats recently, I have seen several 40-42' Sport Fish boats that had blisters, being fixed for around $5000.
Shop around for repair shops & a good price!
Old 01-28-2002, 08:52 PM
Registered

Use an anticeptic cream until the swelling goes down.

Old 01-28-2002, 08:56 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

blisters are bad. Just ask CHRKR (i think that is his name lit is very similar)

AKA "Blister Boy" just ask him about the donzi or look back a few weeks for the thread on his boat.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Originally posted by PhantomChaos:
<STRONG>Use an anticeptic cream until the swelling goes down.

</STRONG>

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!

Quick Reply: Is BLISTERING a bad thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.