If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Hard water

Hard water

Happy new year to you all...
    I have a problem or more like a question...

I went to the marina to change out the tarp for one that would not let water in.. I live in Barrie ont, Canada.. snow belt to say the least.... roughly 3 ft of snow outside.. just letting you know that..

So anyways. to my dismay.. I found 6 inches of ice on the cuddy floor, 1 inch of ice on the helm floor and 7-9 inches of water under the engine pretty much higher then the oil pan..

The first thing I did was lift the front of the boat p more so that the angle would let he water drain out of the boat.. the drain plug was out..

Anyone have any idea what I am going to find in the spring..
    logically the water will drain and ice will melt..

Platinum Member Platinum Member
    My Boats:
    35 Fountain/252 Formula
    St.Peters,Mo/5mm LOTO/LEOPA
    it probebly won't be as bad as you think I had a cobalt as a second boat and a ice storm destroyed the cover and it was a block of ice and there was no harm . while its ice I don't think it is any harm. When it thaws clean it up.

My Boats:
    2000 Superboat 24 Step Bottom - Fresh 501
    Tulsa, OK
    Unless the water is confined in something, it shouldn't break something when it freezes. The reason engine blocks break when water freezes inside them is that it is a confined space and as the water expands it has nowhere to go but out through the side of the block. If it was just water in the bilge and floor, I doubt if there would be a problem.

Thanks guys....
    No water is really confined anywhere..I just like to see the water on the other side of the boat..

Mentor , Ohio
    Yolo ..... you still have snow up there ?

Wouldn't be concerned about it.

Well over the last few days of warmer temps and lots of rain we have lost over 3 ft ..full feet of snow. we have a bit here and there but looks like more is coming this weekend...
    the ice fishing season has all been come to a hault.. cooler temps will fix that though.. I cannot wait to get the boat back int he water..