Notices

NXT Drives / Trannies

Old 01-12-2008, 05:57 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gramp
the merc 6 is less $ than the NXT, does'nt make any sense especially 14k more for the nxt, Is this really true, if it is why would anybody pay more for a drive with less strength rating.
Cause thats a bs price . The oem price on motor and nxt drive is around 53k. Merc doesn't want to sell the drive by itself right now or you would see more realistic prices. Maybe soon enough you will be able to buy them for a much better price.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gramp
the merc 6 is less $ than the NXT, does'nt make any sense especially 14k more for the nxt, Is this really true, if it is why would anybody pay more for a drive with less strength rating.
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o15627-en.html
Old 01-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Clarification

Correct, we "Fountain" run NXT Transom Assembly with complete SSM 6 drive. You cannot match the upper and lower. The NXT is not more than SSM6, it's less and very good for its application.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New package available?

Quick question on the 2008 offerings. Can you now get the 700's with a complete #6, including the gimble, or "hat"?

As far as I was told, in 2007, or at least for the first 2/3rd's of 2007, that was not an option???? Is that a correct statement? Please advise.

The 700 motor absolutley rocks, but it seems that either a fellow boater has zero problems with NXT's, or tons of problems. It seems like mating them to a complete #6 would be the way to go.

I will also add that this thread came from a conversation on another thread. From my experience, a boater in LOTO will not experience an issue, possibly ever. Driving it hard in Lake Michigan on a day with 4-6's, or larger, and staying out of the "pot holes", you will need to stay away from 39 pitch, 6 blade Herrings. Please advise on your thoughts.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem was a bunch of misajusted shift cables, resulting in some smoked trannys. But it wasn't Merc's problem. Very good package overall.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Jassman,

Whats the advantage of running NXT's upper and transom assembly with a #6 lower?

Why not run the entire #6 package then?

Thanks
Jon

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
you cannot run different upper and lowers....i think he means he runs the NXT transom assembly and #6 drives behind that. Just like fountain does.

This is correct. I elected to go this route due to what I was hearing on a few of the earlier applications from different Manufacture's. The X dim. is different then the #6, which whether or not anyone will admit had a few problems or failures to some of the very early models. There was also a few other factors that have been fixed from earlier XNT drives. When anything is new that is bound to happen, and Merc has straightened it out, and quickly I might ad. I'm extremely pleased with my set up, with the #6's. In the build stage I did not have the info and mine being the first 43 with twins, and staggered conf. I didnt want to chance anything. I feel differently now, and feel the NXT drive is more than suffecient along with the knowledge that was made on setting these boats up. The drives are lighter than the #6's, and probably quicker. Top end speed was never my main objection, but they have proven themselves on many applications and are very well matched for that 700 motor. Would I have change anything...NO..I'm all for the overbuild, sacrifice a few mph for reliability in the long run.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the nxt bullet gives alot of transom lift and on the vee bottoms it was blowing out not handling well .so they discovered they could run the # 6 lower the bullet is what they want .the reason you run the nxt with # 6 lower is the weight the tranny is half the weight and the gimble is a little lighter .and the price of the nxt will be less than a # 6 when it becomes availbe from mercury .which you cannot buy it seperate now they seem to be more suited for cats where transom lift is not as much a issue my 3 cents worth.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the nxt's will also fit where a bravo package fits but offers much more strength.
you could not full stagger a 38 fountain with the #6 packages , due to the addition of the trannys. this nxt package fits. and blows the bravo package away. it also offers an alternative to the mega buck 850 or 1075/ #6 package to help keep big dollar costs down for the boater not looking for the ultimate but still doesnt want to break drives.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
the nxt's will also fit where a bravo package fits but offers much more strength.
you could not full stagger a 38 fountain with the #6 packages , due to the addition of the trannys. this nxt package fits. and blows the bravo package away. it also offers an alternative to the mega buck 850 or 1075/ #6 package to help keep big dollar costs down for the boater not looking for the ultimate but still doesnt want to break drives.
I had heard that the Bravo to NXT required some changes. I thought the transom cut out was different at a minimum. Do you know anyone that has tried the conversion that could comment on it?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Registered

100 hours, zero problems.

Quick Reply: NXT Drives / Trannies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.