Notices

prop question

Old 01-13-2002, 08:21 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same hull. I hate 3 blades on it. 4 blades handle better. Hole shot is better (but I never shoot for a quick hole shot, feather it up onto plane then get into it, better for the drive). Cruising mph is better. When I switched from 3 to 4 blades (same pitch) I lost about 1-2 mph but used less gas and could hold better when cornering. Also helps in rough water to keep the bow down (or up as the case may be).
Old 01-13-2002, 08:24 PM
Registered

theres the man i was waiting for to post..

Waterfouls boat.. damn what a ride
Old 01-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can't trim very much without blowing out, mabye 3/8 or 1/2 on the trim gauge and the bow does'nt seem to come up near enough
Old 01-13-2002, 08:36 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Asset, do yourself a favor, give up the 1 mph or so and get yourself a 4 blade prop. Get a non-labbed one and give it a try before you spend the extra dough on the labbing. You will like the results. It may only go 67 mph now, but you'll get there quicker and use less fuel. And you will carry your bow better. This I KNOW!!!

Then when you are confident that the prop you bought is THE prop, get it labbed and you will probably get your 1-2 mph back. I'd hate to see you spend all the money on a labbed prop and have it be the wrong pitch.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:40 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
LIQUID, I have a 24 Outlaw also and have about 420hp. I run a 14.75" 23 Mirage Plus. It never blows out coming on plane as long as the drive is all the way down and it holds good in the turns as well. The Mirage plus has more cupping than the regular Mirage and from talking to others, I'm sure the extra cupping is helping me grab better out of the hole. I tried a Revoltion4 last summer and did not like it. It gave too much stern lift and was no better out of the hole or in turns than my Mirage Plus and lost about 4mph on the top. I have not tried a Bravo. Good Luck and I would test as many props as possible to find out what you prefer. In general, labbing will add about 200rpms and 1-2mph.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

That sounds like a plan, Thanks for the imformation. If yall ever come to Texas let me know and we'll have a beer or two
Old 01-13-2002, 08:43 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Griff is right about the Plus prop. It will handle better. And the Bravo 1 is a bow lifting prop.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Griff and Waterfoul, How fast,rpm prop and h.p. are yall running?
Old 01-13-2002, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Sounds like you may have a bad prop. Try a new 23 mirrage + before you try a 4 blade. You will be at least 3 mph faster with the 3 blade. Lab finishing will get you about 300 rpm. That is what I gained on both of my engines.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:37 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

About 350 hp or so. 60 mph. 22" Powertech prop (which I hate, but havn't had the money to replace).

I ran Vern's (from the board) 22" Bravo One (kinda dinged up from his inland lake boating) this summer. Made one pass at just over 60, into the wind. Turned around to make another pass and had engine trouble so we got towed in (embarassing!!). Screw came lose on my carb and ended up in cylinder #5. Down for a week. Didn't get a chance to run his prop again. But, I think that's the prop I need with this motor.

I should also add that I raised my X-dimension several years ago. Didn't seem to affect handling or speed much. But, I don't have to trim nearly as much to get top speed.

Quick Reply: prop question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.