New to the forum and a question about a used Cig >

New to the forum and a question about a used Cig

Notices

New to the forum and a question about a used Cig

Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum and a question about a used Cig

I was looking for some help, I am in the market for a used Boat. I have been looking at a 35' Cig Mistress 1984 in Chicago.

I did some research on the forum and there is a LOT of info on this boat.
My question is this: Will the repair to the keel if done correctly fix the problem/s or is this like a car once in a bad accident and the chassis is bent typically it is a write off?

Also, I know the keel has taken center stage but what about the motors and drives anybody know anything about that?

What was the previous owners attitude to running the boat, wreckless and abusive or well taken care of?

Any comments would be apprecited, thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see everybody is looking but no posts, maybe dont want to open a can of worms, if you prefer please call me at 336-295-7016. I want to make sure I dont make a mistake, thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Steve_H

theres a great looking mistress on ebay right now.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look down in the Cig section- we just discussed it again. There should be links to the prior discussions- I think it was October.

Cigs are very robust. It takes alot to break one. Just about anything can be repaired- the question is, was it properly repaired. You can only tell so much by looking at the paint. Not very much at that. If the work was done by a known shop and documentation exists, that's a good thing. If all you have is the seller's word- and if that word is being questioned, well...
Old 01-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont know the boat in question, I have never seen it, but I do boat in chicago. Seems that some have said there was some sort of damage to the boat in the past, and that it was repaired, and to stay away. However, I would think as long as the survey, and inspections go well, I dont see a problem. i had a 1982 Excalibur Hawk 40, and when i was looking at buying it, I had a boat guru/mechanic take a peek at it. He noticed that there were some major repairs done to the bottom of the hull at some point. He told me to stay away, etc, etc. But I ended up getting the boat real cheap, and took my chances. Ran the boat hard for 3 summers in some big waters on lake michigan, never a issue with the hull. Had some mechanical issues, but thats irrelevant. I am no fiberglass expert, but if the guy hit something causing some sort of crack, hole, etc, in the hull, and it was PROPERLY repaired, I dont see a problem. I had a buddy with a big cruiser have too many cocktails and drive off with his windless anchor swinging, putting a dozen or so baseball to softball size holes in his brand new boats hullsides. He had it repaired by a awesome glass guy, and when it was done, you would have never known the hull side looked like swiss cheese, good repair and gelcoat matched perfect! But if that cig has been for sale for a long time, and it checks out to be sound, throw some low offers at it. Cant hurt to try.

Where is this boat located exactly in Chicago? Maybe I could swing by and take a glance, if you are from out of state.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "great looking Mistress on eBay" is mine. Take a look at the link below, if you're interested, let me know!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

Thanks,

Harry
Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I know the boat your talking about. It was purchased from Lake Cumberland Marine. Had some motor issues right away and were taken care of. Then the keel problem. I don't remember who repaired but I think about half way through there was a payment problem and thats the last I heard except when it pops up for sale from time to time. Go to the Chicago Powerboat Club forum and ask but get ready and hold on tight it will not be pretty. Just ask for info on who did the repairs. Your not really concerned about the a$$hole owner. Opps sorry there I go. Or ask Jack himself about the motors and who repaired the bottom. If he wants to sell it that bad he should give you all in information himself.

Good luck. Doug
Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Doug said is correct. Lake Cumberland marine made the repairs to the engine(s) shortly after the boat was purchased. As far as I know it ran fine after that. Jack should disclose everything about the keel repair. If he doesn't, I would say he is still hideing something.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Resale is always at the top of my list when I get a boat. Its important for me to have the ability to be able to get out of the boat within a relatively short period of time, just in case the chit hits the fan and I need to cash in on some equity.

Not sure how many boats you've bought but most boaters only keep their first boat for 1-2 years. This boat has been for sale for what 1-2 years (not sure). If you buy it be prepared to keep it and forget about keeping your equity because if you really had to dump the boat there is no telling how low you would have to go to sell it.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Resale is always at the top of my list when I get a boat. Its important for me to have the ability to be able to get out of the boat within a relatively short period of time, just in case the chit hits the fan and I need to cash in on some equity.

Not sure how many boats you've bought but most boaters only keep their first boat for 1-2 years. This boat has been for sale for what 1-2 years (not sure). If you buy it be prepared to keep it and forget about keeping your equity because if you really had to dump the boat there is no telling how low you would have to go to sell it.
Is this thing trashed or something? The pics looked ok, but I know how that goes.

Quick Reply: New to the forum and a question about a used Cig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.