Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   boat accident / need lawyer or advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/177468-boat-accident-need-lawyer-advice.html)

JB4Boyne 01-14-2008 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN (Post 2406561)
i know i want a good one this time any body else know one ?

Contact OJ :greenchainsaw:

Griff 01-15-2008 12:48 AM

IMO, rental company's insurance is liable. As for not running at night, thats an agreement between the rental company and the renter. The rental company needs to go after the renter then.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Its not that complicated. The same rules should apply as they do to a rental car.

socalstone 01-15-2008 01:20 AM

Don't worry about the rental co trying to shed responsibility. That's a crock and they know it. A good lawyer will know exactly what to do and I would guess he/she would go after both.

I witnessed a skier run over by a rental boat back in the early 80's.
Skier almost died- they sued everyone in sight- the rental company, the person who rented the boat, and the person who was behind the wheel at the time of the accident. The skier won hands down and the insurance compannies of all involved contributed to the settlement.

This is hopefully much more serious than your case but same principles should apply.

Good luck. sorry to hear that happened.

racesdad 01-15-2008 01:45 AM

get a better lawyer.

CAP071 01-15-2008 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Playn (Post 2406538)
sounds like you need a new lawyer

Yep

cig1988 01-15-2008 03:14 AM

PM/Email thedonz. Frank practices in FL and should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Perhaps Capo can shed some light here as well. If the owner removed the lights, the vessel no longer complies to USCG regulations. I'm no lawyer but would imagine that is due negligence.

CAP071 01-15-2008 03:18 AM

I'm no legal expert but, the owner of the rental boat admitted to taking all the lights off ? Who did he admit this to?

Did you go after him also? You need a better lawyer

scarabman 01-15-2008 04:28 AM

Lots of advice, but why are you sueing? What were your damages? Was anybody hurt? Long term injuries? Are you just another guy looking to make a buck off a situation????????

These factors certainly have bearing.

bgchuby01 01-15-2008 05:17 AM

contact DHLAW on this site, Brett Hartley in Daytona Beach. He is a boat owner and attorney for lollipops in daytona. He can steer you in the right direction. 386-257-0790 or 386-426-8113 or 386-547-8731

ROB FREEMAN 01-15-2008 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by scarabman (Post 2406722)
Lots of advice, but why are you sueing? What were your damages? Was anybody hurt? Long term injuries? Are you just another guy looking to make a buck off a situation????????

These factors certainly have bearing.

boat sunk in 40 ft at 11at nifght total loss estimated at 60 k injuries yes and no im not just another guy trying to get a free ticket . i was sober and was my family .And to tell you the truth i really dont need any more negativity on this . especially from a fellow osoer , i thought this was a little community of fellow boaters , not someone always trying to jab on someone get real dude .