anybody into R/C gas powered trucks/helicopters

Notices

anybody into R/C gas powered trucks/helicopters

Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody into R/C gas powered trucks/helicopters

just curious if its a good thing to get started into, or is it more of a pain.. thinking about it and just pondering if its more of a headache? i like the revo and the T-maxx? any pro's/cons would be apprecaited..

I do have a electric helicopter (e-flite CX) that i play with every now and then, i do enjoy it and its fun, but when it goes down it can be a pain and can get costly.......
Old 01-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

I used to be real into these a few years back. Started out with this guy http://www.siraceservices.com/pics/torger-sandst.jpg It was a begginer stadium truck then got a better one but cant remember what it was. We also got a boat that was about 40 inches. It hat a .012 engine and even had working trim tabs. Engine injested water so We took my buddies .6 engine from his airplane on it. Still need to find a belt that will match up but it should scream now. This hobbie can be a headache because things are always breaking and the smaller engines are more temprimental for tuning. If I had more time, I would like to get back into this. esp the boats
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 PM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

I have 2 revo's... what a blast
Old 01-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was a kid, I was big into electrics. Got out of the hobby when I got a real car, and stayed away for a long time.

About 8-9 years ago, I saw someone driving a nitro truck and had to have one. Went to the hobby shop that weekend and bought one, which got replaced with a T-Maxx within weeks. Ended up having a bunch of different nitro trucks & buggies over the last several years.

A couple of months ago, I sold my last buggy (Ofna Hyper 7) on e-bay, and picked up a basic electric Traxxas Stampede. My kids, especially my 4 year old son, really like the truck, which is what I was hoping for. The nitros were just way too much for them - too loud, pipes too hot, annoyed the neighbors, etc.

I still love the nitros, but this very simple electric is a ton of fun for us right now. (Besides, I can convert it to brushless whenever I want and have it doing 60 mph)
Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered

Love the traxxas nitros. Lots of fun and the parts are everywhere. Have the tmaxx 2.5 and the 4 tec. Put the 2.5 in the 4tec and it really flies now , just got the speed meter for it but havent rigged it up yet. Haven't gotten to copters , still digesting the money I blew on planes. Weeks of building just to bury the motor a foot into the ground and trash the plane!!
Old 01-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

order a cat. from towerhobbies.com they have everything rc related
Old 01-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Registered

I was into he model airplane craze with multiple planes, ending with a fast built extra 300...then I got into college and got my pilots license and never had a desire to mess with the toys since... There were several in my club with Heli's as well...seemed to take them a LONG time to master them...even great RC airplane converts...and lots of expensive mistakes with the heli's...
Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Registered

I have a truck, gas heli, and an eletric heli. Also have a gas air boat I never finished. The gas heli I have never really flown much, it is old school and it is a lot of work to get running. The eltric is broke right now, just haven't made the time to put it back. The truck runs, and I just installed a new motor in it. It was an older t-max, i brought the power up to what the new ones are, there seems to be less tuning with it now also, though the older models seem to need more tuning.
If just getting started again, one of the best starter nitros in my opinion are the tmax and the revo, both made by traxxes. They are ready to run, are plenty fast, and there are tons of performance parts for them.
If you can fly your eltric helli, they say the gas ones are about the same just a lot more money when they go crash, and it happens as you know. All the support stuff for the gas heli takes a lot of space, you need a starter, glow plug, fuel, fuel pump...etc... With the nitro ready to run trucks all you need is the starter box, and fuel, though the traxxas come with the little starter box and a little fuel. Also with both might need some spare glow plugs.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered

I've got about 8 RC cars and I love them as do my kids 4 & 11. I would stay with the Traxxas. They are fast and reliable. I have a couple of others that are faster, but we always end up back @ at the Revo's because the others are either broken or won't start. Get you a Revo and you'll love it.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One more vote here for Traxxas (nitro or electric)

You can get parts, both stock replacements and hop ups, at just about every hobby shop there is. If you have a local shop that carries all the parts, it can make things a lot more fun.

Sure you can order anything online, but I'm pretty damned impatient. It sucks to not be able to run your truck because you're waiting on a $5 part to come in the mail.

Quick Reply: anybody into R/C gas powered trucks/helicopters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.