Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who does their own powdercoating? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/177732-who-does-their-own-powdercoating.html)

onesickpantera 01-17-2008 06:18 PM

Who does their own powdercoating?

I did a quick search and found a couple older threads. I have been kicking around the idea of a home kit for smaller boat and snowmobile parts. I assume a small sandblasting booth is also a must? Anyone do their own?

bouyhunter 01-17-2008 06:26 PM

I know Cuda was playing around with it.
I talked to him about possibly doing a few parts for me.
Try PM'ing him - I haven't seen him on the board lately.
I know his work had slowed down a bit, and he sold Formula.

BALDTIRES 01-17-2008 06:48 PM

i do my own. i have a cheap harbor freight kit. it works great. i get my powder from eastwood.com. you will need an oven and some sort of access to a sand blaster. i have done a lot of atv parts and they hold up really well for the abuse that they take

onesickpantera 01-17-2008 06:55 PM

Yeah I'm thinking a home kit for $100-$150 and a small sandblasting booth for $200 or so and I'm in business. Problem is some of the parts I would want to do will be too big for a standard oven.

TexomaPowerboater 01-17-2008 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by BALDTIRES (Post 2410684)
i do my own. i have a cheap harbor freight kit. it works great. i get my powder from eastwood.com. you will need an oven and some sort of access to a sand blaster. i have done a lot of atv parts and they hold up really well for the abuse that they take

Welcome to OSO

onesickpantera 01-17-2008 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP (Post 2410766)
I have an Eastwood set up. It owrks pretty well oncec you get the hang of it.

Definately a sandblaster, small toaster oven for tiny parts and a used electric oven for larger parts.

Keep your eye out for that registration for the Four Winns please!!

Whats new with the 24?

I will do that. Do you know when it expires?

I would like to have a big stove. Sled trailing arms and slide rails are too long for an oven. I read where someone made an oven out of a 4-drawer file cabinet! LOL

The 24 is running great. Faster than ever! :D I'm thinking about getting some rear bolters made and I really need to figure out a way to put in a good grab handle for the passenger. That offset cuddy door makes it tough. Then she will be perfect and I will sll it! :D

activatorf1 01-17-2008 11:07 PM

I have a prof powdercoating operation for sale
Itw gema digital hopper style powder coating system
Binks spray booth
natural gas fired oven , 7 ft high x 4 ft wide x 3 ft deep
carts
racks
hooks
turn key operation 7000.00

Go look at the pics of my boat under Cigarette , the boat is a 24 BRT and all powder coating was done in my shop with the above equip
609-315-2640

Chris Sunkin 01-18-2008 06:34 AM

I have one of the Caswell systems, new in the sealed box. Paid $100 for it. First $50 takes it- $5 for ship.

C_Spray 01-18-2008 06:49 AM

I've had very good luck with the products sold through Pendry Powder Coating and on ebay through Rosey's Powder Coating store. Preparation and cleanliness are EVERYTHING. Just to make sure I have all the oils and contaminants out of the metal, I pre-bake my parts at 400 degrees for at least 15 minutes.