Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Steel sheet piling / sea wall repair (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/177735-steel-sheet-piling-sea-wall-repair.html)

waybomb 01-17-2008 06:47 PM

Steel sheet piling / sea wall repair

We lost our steel sheet piling as a result of high river flows, low Lake Michigan water level, a very quick thaw with temps in the 60s, and a snow melt.

Had 16' steel sheet, and now the river bottom is below that and the sheet has slipped. It needs to be replaced with 30' long 7 gage steel sheet piling.

Can anybody provide a very rough ballpark range a job such as this should cost?

Scope:
Furnish sheet, equipment, labor, permits, hardware, etc to :
a. remove destroyed sidewalk cap
b. remove 3 40' fiberglass finger piers from damaged seawall
c. remove 123 lineal feet of bent up and broken 7 gage 16 sheet piling
d.prepare tie bars, etc for new sheet piling
e. drive new steel sheet piling
f. replace finger piers

Concrete sidwalks, electric, plumbing by others.

Just looking for a range - trying to keep the contractors honest.

Thanks for your time
Fred

Mackattack 01-17-2008 07:29 PM

Was the original sheeting driven from land or from a crane on a barge?

I can give a ballpark on what it would go for in LA. I am not sure what the market prices are up there.

Steel sheeting costs are through the roof. I priced some for a job and almost had a heart attack.

waybomb 01-17-2008 07:32 PM

I would guess the original was by land, as there was no building there at the time.

Can you tell me what 123 of 40 ft x 7ga sheet pile costs all by itself as well?

waybomb 01-20-2008 11:52 AM

Anybody?

BOSSMAN 01-20-2008 11:56 AM

I just paid $120.00 per foot removal and replace only with 20 foot sheets and cap.
Rich

BUIZILLA 01-20-2008 01:16 PM

why not synthetic glass??

Nykamp 01-20-2008 06:49 PM

Check with The King Co. here in Holland Mich. or DK Construction also here in Holland, DK stands for Dan King,also Equity Marine Construction out of Grand Haven would probadly be my first call, Dale will take good care of you. Materials Intl. down in atlanta area makes some really nice plastic seawall sheets. I have installed theres before, they are really good to work with, good luck.Steve

baronmarine 01-21-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by waybomb (Post 2410738)
I would guess the original was by land, as there was no building there at the time.

Can you tell me what 123 of 40 ft x 7ga sheet pile costs all by itself as well?

waybomb

i just talked to one of my customers who is a piling dist. he told me he sells 40' 7 ga. for $4.80 per sq ft. he also told me 7ga is petty thin for driving.
todd

Tom A. 01-21-2008 04:46 PM

Waybomb, you have provided a lot of info but there are still many variables. When i get to work tomorrow I can give you an idea on material and installation costs in Jersey.
7 gage is going to be way to thin for 30' sheets. Also, access via land or water is a big factor. My thought would be to install plastic sheeting. We did that at my father's house when the steel sheets coroded through. (salt water) Could you drive the new sheets in front of the old ones? This would save money and retain some of your property.

TGC-32 01-21-2008 05:20 PM

I redid both of my marinas in New jersey with corrugated vinyl. WAY better than steel, and probably around the same price (the labor is the same, and the material costs on a job like this are really not all that great relative to the total cost of the job). Go with vinyl if you can. I am looking to do some repairs to the sea wall in my marina in Connecticut, and if possible I will drive the corrugated vinyl in fromt of the damaged corrugated steel like Tom A. suggested.

I will try to get my cost figures from the job we just completed.

Tom
Total Marine