Crossovers or Circ pump??? >

Crossovers or Circ pump???

Notices

Crossovers or Circ pump???

Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossovers or Circ pump???

I have a 540 Chevy BB w/IMCO exhaust and I currently use the stock circ pump and thermostat housing/hoses (all mercruiser original). I was wondering if I can use a crossover pipe and purchase a new thermostat housing and get rid of the circ pump and serpentine belt set up. Since my pulley system is totally stock (water pump, Alt, power steering ), I was going to adjust my belt routing system to make it work.

Does anyone know what parts I have to buy (New T-stat housing, T-stat, crossover pipe, hoses, etc.) to make the this modification work.

What are the benifits to a circ pump vs. going to a crossover pipe? Obvisouly the circ pump creates better water flow but takes a small amount of HP to rotate. Any disadvantage of the crossover pipe besides the cost?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Registered

Unless your trying to squeese ever last HP out of that engine, I wouldn't bother with a cross over. Just from what I have read here, and what my frineds have gone through. Some problems have been water presure drop, and low engine temp issues, causeing the engine to run too cool at idel.

I have had one buddy gain a little bit on his top speed. Like 1 or1/2 a mph . But see the problems above.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Registered

My original thermostat housing has been on for 8 years and needs to be replaced. The last thing I want with a new motor is problems with original parts that I should of replaced. Getting additional HP is not a big concern since I have over 725hp. I just don't don't want to spend more money on replacing stock componets when I can delete them and run a crossover pipe.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered

I'd stick with the T-Stat housing and circ pump - this will provide a consitent temp throughout the motor. I've seen many motors with crossovers (no t-stats) that never get hot enough to remove the moisture from the oil - my .02 worth