Notices

Air Dock question

Old 01-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Dock question

Hey guys, I have an 88 260 Nova II that I keep in a canal on an island in the Detroit River. I've been looking for a way to keep it out of the water and recently came across a guy with an Air Dock that he wants to sell because he is going to a different style of boat. He has a 38 powerquest so obviously this air dock is much larger than what I need, but I figured since it is a similar hull design and the beam is close enough it would probably still work. I called air dock to ask about it and the person I spoke with said there was no way it would work, the boat would not be heavy enough to lower into the water, etc, etc.
His boat weighs 8500 or so, mine weighs 6200. I can accept that it might take longer to bleed the air out and drop the boat in the water, but it seems hard for me to believe that it would not work at all. I am starting to wonder if they were just trying to talk me out of it so I could buy a new (correctly sized) air dock. Anybody got any experience with putting a boat on an air dock that is longer than the boat? Thanks, John
Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by u150
Hey guys, I have an 88 260 Nova II that I keep in a canal on an island in the Detroit River. I've been looking for a way to keep it out of the water and recently came across a guy with an Air Dock that he wants to sell because he is going to a different style of boat. He has a 38 powerquest so obviously this air dock is much larger than what I need, but I figured since it is a similar hull design and the beam is close enough it would probably still work. I called air dock to ask about it and the person I spoke with said there was no way it would work, the boat would not be heavy enough to lower into the water, etc, etc.
His boat weighs 8500 or so, mine weighs 6200. I can accept that it might take longer to bleed the air out and drop the boat in the water, but it seems hard for me to believe that it would not work at all. I am starting to wonder if they were just trying to talk me out of it so I could buy a new (correctly sized) air dock. Anybody got any experience with putting a boat on an air dock that is longer than the boat? Thanks, John
I say BS, but I don't really know how the air dock works. If it works like a hyrdohoist then it will just take a little longer to go down.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:02 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

sorry Andy, but not BS.
I had a 24pantera on a D-2 airdock.
I weighed in the mid 5000lb range and it would take a LONG TIME to get the air out. I actually hooked up a small shopvac to suck the air out.
How much does this guy want for his air dock?
I also know someone who will be selling an airdock.
i can find out the size they have.
But for your size boat, you should be in a D-2.

I liked it. I can help more if you want.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

that 38' PQ wieghs more than 8500.
More like 11K I would think with any fuel in it.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Registered

The guy wants 1500, the dock is 2 yrs old and sounds like he has taken good care of it, has it cleaned at the end of the year and stored inside. I was thinking if it would work for me it would be an awesome deal. Here is the weight for that powerquest right from NADA. I thought it would be heavier too. I have to figure out something before spring, don't want to torture this boat with another year in the water.

Boats and Personal Watercraft
2000 POWERQUEST BOATS
380 AVENGER
Stern Drive Power Boat

Length: 38'
Model Name/Description: 380 AVENGER
Boat Type: Stern Drive Power Boat
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Beam: 8' 6"
Engine: 2
385 HP
Gasoline
Net Weight: 8500
Old 01-18-2008, 06:29 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

get the right size for the boat.... that's my $02.
Or contact FT525. He's usually in the Pantera Forum. He'll be selling his.

On the other hand, buy that big one, just always carry 8-10 REAL fat chics on your boat.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
get the right size for the boat.... that's my $02.
Or contact FT525. He's usually in the Pantera Forum. He'll be selling his.

On the other hand, buy that big one, just always carry 8-10 REAL fat chics on your boat.
LOL I didn't want to say it

Thats a good deal. Surely he could nig rig it up until he buys the 38 footer
Old 01-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Registered

u150 you would be able to use the air dock that is made for the 38. It will take longer to deflate but there are a few things you could do to help. One is you will not need the front pontoon. You also may not want to inflate the inner cambers as much to reduce the boancy when it is deflated. I never did get my 22 one my air dock but it does deflate with out anything on it just takes forever.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Without a vacuum, it would take well over 20minutes to deflate.
i bought mine figuring i'd be in a 28-30 in a few years... being optimistic.
I Shoulda bought the right size.
Maybe you could lose the front chamber, that's what would never deflate, since there would be no pressure on it. And a good vacuum could suck the air out.
You asked for opinions...
good luck.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How wide is an air dock for an 8' beam boat?

Quick Reply: Air Dock question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.