If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    '77 Hornet II

Galvanizing: hot dipped versus cold spray

I imagine hot-dipped is the best for all around protection. But I'm really wondering what the consesus is on "galvanizing in a can." I picked up a can of Rustoleum brand to try on some parts. So far only sprayed it on the backing plates of a buddy's disc brake trailer; haven't dunked it in the salt yet. But it looked real nice and shiny!

Would the cold spray work on things like non-galvinized hubs, updating galvanized wheels, trailer brackets, etc.?

My Boats:
    14' go-devil mud boat 22' Apache Scout
    Chalmette,Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    I work in the water/wastewater industry and use hypochlorite (bleach) and gas chlorine alot. The were eating all of the mounts for our pumps. I had the welder fab some mounts and sandblasted them. As soon as i cleaned the sand off of them i sprayed them with some cold gal. spray and they lasted longer than anything we were buying! You have to compare and make sure you buy the stuff with the high zinc content.

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hot-dip galvanizing is a process whereby iron and steel components are passed through molten zinc. This does two things: (1)provide a physical barrier to corrosion since zinc is far more corrosion resistant than steel and iron and (2)it chemically adheres to and alters the surface layer of the iron or steel component effectively making the ferrous component cathodic, lowering it's ionizing potential and thus diminishing surface corrosion. You'll never compete with this process using something in a can. The best you can hope for is a temporary physical barrier, but the chemical surface conversion will not occur. I'm sure the rustoleum can't hurt, but...

I use the can spray on pool chemical trailers and it does ok. The trailers are hot dipped but I make some changes (new welding) and spray everything when I am done. It holds up good but the acid will rip right through the can spray results. The chlorine (bleach) doesn't eat it up too bad. Salt water should not be that bad.

Ginger or Mary Ann? Charter Member US1 Fountain's Avatar
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't know about the salt water reliabilty.... but I've used the spay can galv. stuff on a few parts of my lift I added. 5 yrs later, no rust on those parts and they still looks like the day I sprayed them. I thought there was no way a spray can product was going to protect steel parts that are underwater everytime the lift goes down. I'm amazed.
    My marina sprays all the welds from dock repairs and such and those spots hold up just fine too.