Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   H2 pulling a 38??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/178124-h2-pulling-38-a.html)

Chris Sunkin 01-23-2008 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by excalibur32 (Post 2417601)
I have electric brakes on my trailer they work in reverse!!!!!!!! How do they pull 747's around? a tug with 4 to 6 cylinders and stop them too!! Not everyone has the big bucks of Sydway's or the access to all the leading edge tech he has.

Electric brakes do work in reverse. Surge brakes do not- unless you're trying to back up a hill.

Moving a 747 requires a TUG GT110, It weighs about 90,000 lbs and is powered by a 300 hp turbodiesel.

You're right. Not everyone has significant resources. Owning a boat comes with the burden of owning all the equipment you need to operate it or paying for those services. Just because I can't afford to burn 200 gallons of premium a day doesn't mean someone else should pay for it, regardless of how much I want to go out running every day. If a person's boat is to heavy to tow, they either need a bigger truck or a smaller boat. Can't afford it is never an excuse. Although, it's a common justification criminals use for their actions. This fellow asked and got straight, level-headed, factual answers.

excalibur32 01-23-2008 12:57 PM

He's talking 300 feet, maybe we should get a level and stick out to measure the ramp incline, although Mr.Sunken and I really don't have to worry we both have dooley's and neither of our boats run anyway. RIGHT CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!

Sydwayz 01-23-2008 01:01 PM

Gents,

Do straight electric brakes work underwater?

Chris Sunkin 01-23-2008 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by excalibur32 (Post 2417703)
He's talking 300 feet, maybe we should get a level and stick out to measure the ramp incline, although Mr.Sunken and I really don't have to worry we both have dooley's and neither of our boats run anyway. RIGHT CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!

I think the consensus was it would occasionally pull it 300 feet on hard level ground. It's the launch ramp that virtually everyone agreed would not work. Distance isn't the issue, it's the angle and starting from a dead stop primarily- that and the trucks relatively slight ability to maintain traction and braking control. Secondarily it's the truck's ability to keep traction exiting the ramp in spite of its slight weight.

While true we didn't ask about relative ramp incline, I've yet to see many really long, really shallow one's. One's you could pull a 12,000+ rig up when wet.

Chris Sunkin 01-23-2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2417712)
Gents,

Do straight electric brakes work underwater?

Yes. Simple system. An electromagnet contacts the face of the inside of the drum- looks like one side of a brake disc. The friction rotates the magnet actuating the brake cam. The will work like really wet drum brakes though but at 1mph you don't need much. You'd have to manually activate with the controller to get the force you'd need.

Sydwayz 01-23-2008 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2417722)
Yes. Simple system. An electromagnet contacts the face of the inside of the drum- looks like one side of a brake disc. The friction rotates the magnet actuating the brake cam. The will work like really wet drum brakes though but at 1mph you don't need much. You'd have to manually activate with the controller to get the force you'd need.

Thanks Chris. Assuming the trailer 'nmogren' owns has surge brakes; electric over hydraulic would be a relatively cheap upgrade vs. going to all electric brakes. Back to the original post, which is mute now anyways; but I don't think any of us can expect an H3's brakes and drive train to hold 9,000+ lbs. on a wet slope given a trailer with surge brakes.

I can't recall ever seeing straight electric brakes on a boat trailer--aside from something huge like a tandem dually or bigger.

Surge brakes were the standard. Electric/hydraulic is quickly becoming the standard (see more new ones with E/H than with Surge), and Straight Electric is definately not the norm.

FASTTIMES 01-23-2008 02:05 PM

I would ask Byrdman

excalibur32 01-23-2008 02:28 PM

If you remember my old posts about the brakes on my trailers you really need to see someone, as I have never said anything about the brakes on my trailer. As I know, nothing I have would even be worthy of Sydway's intellect. Kind of like his explination of the velocity of pipes,as in stepped hulls. Oh and by the way I am a licensed Master plumber and know alittle abiut pipes but never understood until I saw your explination. Haaaaaaaa just busting your chops!!!!!! Love both Mr. Sunken and Sydway's!

Chris Sunkin 01-23-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2417746)
Thanks Chris. Assuming the trailer 'nmogren' owns has surge brakes; electric over hydraulic would be a relatively cheap upgrade vs. going to all electric brakes. .

E/H is an easy upgrade on the trailer. All you need is the trailer pump unit and an in-cab controller. All electric would be a swap of everything from the spindles out.

I'm doing a changeover on a Myco right now. Going with the greasable spindles, 6-axle discs and the E/H setup. A little over 2 grand for incredible peace-of-mind.

Sydwayz 01-23-2008 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by excalibur32 (Post 2417846)
If you remember my old posts about the brakes on my trailers you really need to see someone, as I have never said anything about the brakes on my trailer. As I know, nothing I have would even be worthy of Sydway's intellect. Kind of like his explination of the velocity of pipes,as in stepped hulls. Oh and by the way I am a licensed Master plumber and know alittle abiut pipes but never understood until I saw your explination. Haaaaaaaa just busting your chops!!!!!! Love both Mr. Sunken and Sydway's!

What a confusing thread.

And BTW, I didn't make up the whole pipes/steps analogy; rather a boat designer/architect.