Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   H2 pulling a 38??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/178124-h2-pulling-38-a.html)

nmogren 01-23-2008 08:52 AM

H2 pulling a 38???

So by now we've all seen the post in the "safety" section regarding the H2 and the 38.... my question to you guys, could I -not pull, but- move a 38', 9000lbs boat with an H3 ? I would be roughly moving the boat 100 yards and launching it. I would not be taking the boat on any public roads... boat sits in marina lot on trailer, I hook up to it ,and launch at same marina's launch ramp...

What do you guys think?

Tony Montana 01-23-2008 08:56 AM

I would think you could "move" it to the ramp if it is as close as you say. I think you may have trouble pulling it out depending on the ramp. It still will not be good for the tranny on that truck though.

Sydwayz 01-23-2008 09:25 AM

OK, realistically, any 38' boat is 11,000 lbs. MINIMUM (could be 12-13K) on a trailer, full of fuel, tools, gear, coolers, kids, passengers, etc; ready to launch.

If the H3 can muster it, it will only do so with the transfer case in AWD-LOW setting.
You will need electric over hydraulic brakes to hold the trailer (loaded) while at the ramp. Otherwise the boat will drag that SUV right down the ramp with only the SUV's brakes and drivetrain holding it. (That's why they put the fat kids at the end of the rope in tug of war.)

Those H3s are seriously underpowered as it is.
I can't imagine "moving" it all that well though.

Once you get up the ramp and onto flat ground, you are going to have to shift (probably involves stopping and shifting into neutral) the transfer case back into "AWD-HI" so you can make turns and such.

Either buy a beater truck now to move it around the marina, pay the marina to do it with a tractor, or buy a new drivetrain for your H3 (eventually--probably 3 weeks after the warranty expiresm if you don't end up in the drink first).

You would not catch me attempting such; but hey its your rig.
How well do you know your insurance agent? "Umm, Bob... We had a little problem this weekend."

Chris Sunkin 01-23-2008 09:40 AM

I think you'll probably hear a very loud bang about halfway up your ramp-exit pull.

Underneath the H3 you'll find very light duty components. Lighter than a half-ton pickup. Basically the same stuff that GM uses on the light-duty SUV's. Essentially the all-wheel-drive cars. Front axle uses CV loints- thay should tell you something. 4500 lb tow max.

Sydways is right about the brakes.

excalibur32 01-23-2008 09:43 AM

The new one ton dooleys have smallblock gas V-8 from GM. Electric over hydraulics I don't think so for launching any good brakes should hold it on the ramp. He "aint" going cross country.

89scarabIII 01-23-2008 09:45 AM

Like stated above marinas use tractors to move boats around. I think your hummer weights more then a tractor and has better brakes. If all your doing is moving it and launching at the marina you'll be alright. Its not like your going out on the roads your speeds will not be over 20 mph hour so stopping wont be that big of an issue. You have 4 wheel drive so pulling out of the water should be a breeze. I tow 34' with a 2 wheel drive dually and never had a problem at a ramp retrieveing the boat. and truck weights approx. 6000 lbs well less then the boat and never been pulled into the water yet (all ways in the back of my mind though).

Try it and see how it goes. I pulled my trailer with my golf cart once did it but wont do it again. I thought I blew the thing up.

excalibur32 01-23-2008 09:45 AM

My ZR-2 Blazers are rated #5000 pounds off the bumper. In 4 low with a V-6 it will pull the gates off hell.

Sydwayz 01-23-2008 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by excalibur32 (Post 2417420)
The new one ton dooleys have smallblock gas V-8 from GM. Electric over hydraulics I don't think so for launching any good brakes should hold it on the ramp. He "aint" going cross country.

Please let us know when you figure out how to make surge brakes work in reverse when the trailer is aimed downhill (down a ramp).

Chris Sunkin 01-23-2008 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 89scarabIII (Post 2417425)
Like stated above marinas use tractors to move boats around. I think your hummer weights more then a tractor and has better brakes. If all your doing is moving it and launching at the marina you'll be alright. .

Tractors are made for pulling things. And they weigh alot more than a little suv. We have a small JD here- 65 horse 5000 series. Weighs almost 5500 lbs.

He wants to pull a loaded, fuelled 38 Cigarette up a wet launch ramp. Moving around the yard at 5MPH?- sure. The ramp?- Make sure to video it.

I'd also be concerned as to the insurance company's position on this if he does end up in the drink.

pachanga 01-23-2008 10:15 AM

The difference between a passenger vehicle and a tractor are night and day! A Tractor is designed for pulling and a passenger vehicle is designed for cruising! That Hummer probably has 5 times the HP of a tractor...Hookem up and see who wins the tuggawar! I'm not saying it cannot be done...as long as the ramp is not to steep I would probably do it. We have some ramps up here that a duellie 4 wheel drive wouldn't come up empty...much less with a boat in 2 wheel drive! If you get that hummer to spinning trying to pull the boat out and it catches a bite I would wager somin is gonna break!

Originally Posted by 89scarabIII (Post 2417425)
Like stated above marinas use tractors to move boats around. I think your hummer weights more then a tractor and has better brakes. If all your doing is moving it and launching at the marina you'll be alright. Its not like your going out on the roads your speeds will not be over 20 mph hour so stopping wont be that big of an issue. You have 4 wheel drive so pulling out of the water should be a breeze. I tow 34' with a 2 wheel drive dually and never had a problem at a ramp retrieveing the boat. and truck weights approx. 6000 lbs well less then the boat and never been pulled into the water yet (all ways in the back of my mind though).

Try it and see how it goes. I pulled my trailer with my golf cart once did it but wont do it again. I thought I blew the thing up.