Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Internet brands buys offshoreonly???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/178182-internet-brands-buys-offshoreonly.html)

Tom A. 01-23-2008 09:16 PM

Here is the Businesswire press release from MSN.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/tic...55&Symbol=INET

ThruHull 01-23-2008 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lofty (Post 2418414)
On the bright side of things; I see that IB is hiring moderators with an understanding of the forum environment .

Here's your chance to get paid to be on OSO all day.

that mark guy from maryland would be rich wouldn't he! :D

Cash Bar 01-23-2008 09:21 PM

Sadly. it is true. :(

Here are things from my perspective. Expect this to be edited as my thoughts flow.

I have been close to Steve for a few years. He has always been a huge cheereader for the SPORT and for all of the MEMBERS. He is the one that went to bat for US with PB mag when they called us "nitwits". He showed our true colors during the "20 questions" section of the magazine.

In the last several months I have seen a change in his day-to-day personality. Where he used to be ra-ra all the time about growing the site and promoting "the life" he became more stressed and angry. I believe it had a direct correlation to the influx of a different type of member. We all know the obvious ones, but many of you don't see the behind the seens whining and backfighting increased membership has brought. This isn't a business run by a large staff of "professional" internet types. This was a small group of boating enthusiasts that wanted nothing more than to grow the hobby they enjoyed into a thriving business.

I spent more than 2 weeks on the road with Steve and the staff during the Destin and LOTO Poker Run swing. It was a very enlightening look at the day by day efforts it takes(took) to make this place run. Try to upload 300+ pictures from the Destin Poker Run while in a rig running across the plains headed to LOTO. Not an easy task. Try to coordinate a party at LOTO involving 70+boats and 500+ people at a lake and restaurant you only see 3 days a year. I was amazed at how calm they remained. I was pulling my hair out and I was only helping.

Try to fight off the entire membership while you dig to the bottom of a sour,rotten deal like the Trick marine or National Marine Fiascos. It has not been an easy ride, I am sure. I only hope that the financial reward for all his efforts did not make him feel it was a waste. I do know he treasured the friends he has made, and the places he has been, all as a result of the site.

Even in the face of the worst moments of OSO, I feel that Steve enjoyed more than he didn't. It hasn't been all bad for sure.

He looked me in the eye one time and said something that I look back on now as life-altering moment. I was discussing some ideas with him and he said this:

Never, ever, make the hobby you enjoy into your business. It will ruin it for you.

Sad, but very telling of these new developements. If it had truly reached a point where the joy was gone, I hope this gives him freedom the find it once again. Maybe he will even join us all at the Poker Runs and Boat Shows for HIS vacation. Not as our fearless leader, but as a boater and a friend.

I am sad for myself and the site, but happy for Steve and the staff. I wish them all the best.

Greg

THEJOKER 01-23-2008 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 2418458)
Sadly. it is true. :(

Here are things from my perspective. Expect this to be edited as my thoughts flow.

I have been close to Steve for a few years. He has always been a huge cheeleader for the SPORT and for all of the MEMBERS. He is the one that went ot bat for US with PB mag when they called us "nitwits". He showed our true colors during the "20 questions" section of the magazine.

In the last several months I have seen a change in his day-to-day personality. Where he used to be ra-ra all the time about growing the site and promoting "the life" he became more stressed and angry. I believe it had a direct correlation to the influx of a different type of member. We all know the obvious ones, but many of you don't see the behind the seens whining and backfight the increased membership has brought. This isn't a business run by a large staff of "professional" internet types. This was a small group of boating enthsiasts that wanted nothing more than to grow the hobby they enjoyed into a thriving business.

I spent more than 2 weeks on the road with Steve and the staff during the Destin and LOTO Poker Run swing. It was a very enlightening look at the day by day efforts it takes(took) to make this place run. Try to upload 300+ pictures from the Destin Poker Run while in a rig running across the plains headed to LOTO. Not an easy task. Try to coordinated a party at LOTO involving 70+boats and 500+ people at a lake and restaurant you only see 3 days a year. I was amazed at whow calm they remained. I was pulling my hair out and I was only helping.

Try to fight off the entire membership while you dig to the bottom of a sour,rotten deal like the Trick marine or National Marine Fiascos. It has not been an easy ride, I am sure. I only hope that the financial reward for all his efforts did not make him feel it was a waste. I do know he treasure the friends he has made, and the places he has been, all as a result of the site.

Even in the face of the worst moments of OSO, I feel that Steve enjoyed more than he didn't. It hasn't been all bad for sure.

He looked me in the eye one time and said something that I look back on now as life-altering moment. I was discussing some ideas with him and he said this:

Never, ever, make the hobby you enjoy into your business. It will ruin it for you.

Sad, but very telling of these new developements. If it had truly reached a point where the joy was gone, I hope this gives him freedom the find it once again. Maybe he will even join us all at the Poker Runs and Boat Shows for HIS vacation. Not as our fearless leader, but as a boater and a friend.

I am sad for myself and the site, but happy for Steve and the staff. I wish them all the best.

Greg

Nice way to sum it up Greg.

Tom A. 01-23-2008 09:26 PM

Well put Cash Bar.

WMF 01-23-2008 09:28 PM

that is the best statement I have heard and I live buy it, never make your hobby a profession, or you will hate it, it's true, I know, with 15 year is the PWC industry. I used to love what I do and riding jetskis, now I cant wait to get away from them, I still like what I do but I am into the business too far, and its all I know. Good luck Steve and I hope you made some cash in the process:cool-smiley-011:

t500hps 01-23-2008 09:28 PM

Good info Cash Bar.....I never met Steve but talked to him for awhile about a month ago. In hindsight you could hear the mixture of happiness and frustration in his voice. He had a number of stories about members and the crazy things they requested/expected from the OSO staff. (like that stupid "stolen photo" issue he had to deal with!!!!)

Hope to meet you one day Steve.....playing out on the water.

jayboat 01-23-2008 09:31 PM

Thanks for the insight, Greg.

Cash Bar 01-23-2008 09:33 PM

Oh, by the way, from my understanding, Steve is, and will be, running the site.

The OSO Cigarette will be atttending the Poker Runs in 2008 with Steve behind the wheel.

Maybe he will even have a smile on his face..... :cool-smiley-026:

masher44 01-23-2008 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 2418481)
Oh, by the way, from my understanding, Steve is, and will be, running the site.

sounds like he will still deal with the headaches?