Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone Live In Wilmington Nc Or Near Bye >

Anyone Live In Wilmington Nc Or Near Bye

Notices

Anyone Live In Wilmington Nc Or Near Bye

Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been running the family business for the last 5 years since i been out of high school and started boat racing, Very easy to take days off to travel for the races when you working for the family, but i just need to get away And experience nc, I have a couple different business opportunities i have been looking at for new jersey or the wilminton area, just not sure if i want to be in new jersey or nc, so i was going to give nc a year before i made a major commitment, so i was looking for employment threw someone in the boat family so they would understand my time off needed for traveling with the race boat
Old 01-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, my bro in law moved to lake norman area to find work. he is a mason. Jobs a much easier to find there than in Michigan. It is also a wonderful place to live.

Good luck
Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How are the property taxes?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chriscarbone
been running the family business for the last 5 years since i been out of high school and started boat racing, Very easy to take days off to travel for the races when you working for the family, but i just need to get away And experience nc, I have a couple different business opportunities i have been looking at for new jersey or the wilminton area, just not sure if i want to be in new jersey or nc, so i was going to give nc a year before i made a major commitment, so i was looking for employment threw someone in the boat family so they would understand my time off needed for traveling with the race boat
Plenty of boating related businesses in that area, and still a fair amount of new construction development work in that area as well. Shouldn't have much trouble finding work in that area, but the wage scale is not as high as northeast typically for blue collar workers. Its a great area with 4 seasons, but winter is 1 month not 6.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
How are the property taxes?
One of the areas biggest draws in new housing is from NJ, NY because of the lower tax structure. I have a friend who is a developer who built and sold 320 new houses last year and 300 were to people from New Jersey. Our mild climate and abundance of golf courses and other year round activities has made it a favorite of retirees from New England for many years, and with the abundance of named storms in Florida in recent years, a lot that were FL bound stopped in coastal Carolinas and stayed.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by heavyhauler
One of the areas biggest draws in new housing is from NJ, NY because of the lower tax structure. I have a friend who is a developer who built and sold 320 new houses last year and 300 were to people from New Jersey. Our mild climate and abundance of golf courses and other year round activities has made it a favorite of retirees from New England for many years, and with the abundance of named storms in Florida in recent years, a lot that were FL bound stopped in coastal Carolinas and stayed.

One more question.....are basements possible....due to the water table?

Thank you

Ed
Old 01-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Good Luck with your possible move and job search. Looking forward to seeing you racing this year in your new boat.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
One more question.....are basements possible....due to the water table?

Thank you

Ed
A basement is possible, but not very practical due to the water table in the coastal area, and the cost to get one in a lot of areas in the Coastal Carolinas would be substantial due to the likelihood of having to keep the excavation dewatered during excavation and construction of the basement, and then afterward you would probably want a sump pump (just in case) and a dehumidifier. Typically here if you have a basement, it is actually above ground, i.e. raised beach style, antebellum, etc.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by heavyhauler
A basement is possible, but not very practical due to the water table in the coastal area, and the cost to get one in a lot of areas in the Coastal Carolinas would be substantial due to the likelihood of having to keep the excavation dewatered during excavation and construction of the basement, and then afterward you would probably want a sump pump (just in case) and a dehumidifier. Typically here if you have a basement, it is actually above ground, i.e. raised beach style, antebellum, etc.
Thank You

I understand excavation and dewatering, but antebellum I had to look up!

LOL!

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 01-27-2008 at 06:16 PM.