Bajas - Far and few between >

Bajas - Far and few between

Notices

Bajas - Far and few between

Old 12-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bajas - Far and few between

The wife nixed the Outlaw 25. Says if I could get it for half price, buy it and go boating by yourself. If I want the family boating with me and can spend what I want, gotta get the windshield with integrated transom. I want a nice boat, so better to have a willing wife ($) in a Performance series than no upgrade at all. Oh well. Starting to look at the used market on some boats I am researching to possibly purchase in the future. Two boats I am focusing on, but not limiting to are the 2000-2004 Baja 232 and 1998 -1999 252 Performance. the 245 is not "used" ($) enough. I have an option to dry store the boat next to my launch ramp, so towing/storing will not be an issue.

Questions:

Models: 252 are hard to come by. Would you go out of your way (I mean 2000 miles) to find a 252 versus a relatively plentiful 232 market? Is it worth the 2 feet and deadrise difference. Would a newer 232 be a better choice overall?

Engines: 252-Required 454/502 magnum at least. 232-Required 454/502 Magnum or 496 Mag at least. Most of the used boats on line come with the 454MPI for both models. As you may kow from my previous posts, I am going to be very patient and wait for exactly what I want. But the big engines on these models come in at 1 to 10, 1 to 20. Does anybody know what the sales cycle is online? Meaning how many months will it take to see another 20 or 30 boats online to find the boat the 2 or 3 that I want. I told the wife it may take years with my newfound patience , but I want it yesterday!

Plus, if anybody knows someone selling these models/engines, let me know.

I appreciate all of the help.

Chris
[email protected]
Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Re: Bajas - Far and few between

A lot of folks have their boats for sale right now, on a whim. As in "eh, lets just see if it sells over the 'winter season' "depending on where you live. You will see a LOT more boats pop up online and in dealer inventory after mid Janauary when some of the boat shows start, and that number will multiply come March and April. Patience will actually help you in this situation.

I think some of the other guys are right though. You need to get behind the wheel (and windshield) of a few Formulas. I think Formula had a niche' in the "Guy with a stickler wife who wants a windhshield" market. Its their bread and butter persay, whereas to Baja, its not really their strongest suit.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Registered

what about the 272..... or 275 ??
Old 12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Registered

I know everyone has made suggestions about what to get beyond what you are looking at, but I thought I'd throw one in. The 29' Scarab looks to have everything you are looking for. Molded swim platform, widshield, and good power choices. There are also alot of them for sale it seems. I too am boat shopping for the spring, but we are set for a no windshield (probably Pantera 28) boat. If you are no longer tied down by towing and storage, you may look at these. They seem to be priced right too.

just my $.02
Old 12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Registered

Sydwayz,

I keep trying to get into Formula's, but I am missing something. Researching Formula's website, the Fastech series is the only under 27' boat with a 24 degree deadrise. I found the 26 sport, but it is a lake deadrise. The 242 everyone mentions here I have found only 1990 or older, I am looking for something late 90's, early 00's. Give me a model # and years, and I will definitely look into that.

Chris288,

I never drove on, but did stop by and take a look at the 1995 272 Long Beach yacht sales has. Aside from the torn interior, the boat seemed to have the EXACT same cockpit size as the 232, and double the size of cabin. Seemed like a waste to me as we are an outdoor boating family. I know getting a longer boat will give a better ride, but thought the speed and gas mileage on the 232 would be better. Let me know if you disagree. Educate me!

Chris
Old 12-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...canyachtsales&
Old 12-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Registered

I went from a 232 to a 288.... Don't get me wrong,, for a 23 footer the 232 IMO handles VERY good. but like everyone else says get the biggest boat you can afford, the ride only gets that much better... IF I boated 99% of the time on a lake, did a lot of water skiing and water sports and didn't over-night much I would go w/ the 232, boating in bigger water and overnighting with little water sports I would go with 272..
Old 12-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Registered

http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...e&showMD=false
There is about 20, 252 baja's on there if interested.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Registered

One obvious question is how much are you looking to spend? One guy at my marina is selling his 252 with a supercharged 502 in it. The boat is a 70 plus boat. Been on it at that speed. I wanna say he was lookin around 28K for the boat. The big problem with it that I can think of is that it has a Bravo1 drive on it. Its second one cause he went through one already with the motor package on it. It should have a beefed up drive. He just eases it up onto plane then gets on the sticks from a rolling start. And its loud. Not to mention the nice supercharger whine.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Registered

Sydwayz,
Good to know on the post Boat Show market! Thank you.

jayhawk261,
I will research the Scarab 29

Chris288,
What about top speed issues on the 272/5. The 272/5 all come with powerful good engines, but what about top end because of the additional weight. Secondly, what are the negatives with a 27' boat towing skiers and tubes, ect. Major concern for the wife. I am on the reserve list (available in about a month or two) for a 30' storage space at the launch ramp, will I need to go bigger with a 272/5? In addition, I figured my MDX (4wd) will pull the 6000 pounds the 200' from the storage space to the ramp on a 232. Can I get away with that on the 272/5? Triple axle trailer plus added weight from boat/fuel might push this to 7000 pounds. What do you think?

Chris

Quick Reply: Bajas - Far and few between

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.