If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Ormond Beach, FL

Bottom finish suggestions

I have a "new to me" 22 Donzi Classic that has a beautiful deck and sides but the bottom has not been given the same attention. It's gel is chalked to the point of leaving a white residue on your fingers (and the trailer bunks).

I was planning on using a medium compound with a mild cutting pad on my Porter Cable random orbital then applying a good polymer finish (wax but without the carnuba).

I want to try a few things while it's on the trailer so I can use the best / easiest method once I go through the trouble of lifting it so throw out some options for me.

Sounds like you need to wet sand by hand and then machine polish. I would not use a DA on it unless thats what you do for a living.

My Boats:
    12ft. Aluminum Canoe
    Closer than you might think..........
    My vote is for wetsanding as well. We've put a wetsanding 101 thread together in the paint/fiberglass section.

Have any questions just ask for help.

My Boats:
    98 NORTECH 5000V
    Stafford Va.
    Well if you look at a blue printed bottom it's dull and smooth with kinda rough feeling when you drag a finger nail on it. I would look into the steps on that. Compound, flat file/sand and then some kind of sealer I would think, it might not look the best but you may pick up a few mph if your hull has a bad hook in it.

Neno the mind boggler VIP Member glassdave's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
    toledo oh
    get a hold of something like Aquabuff or Rollite an like MercMan says a little wet sanding than followed by machine polish. The random orbital will not have enough action to really bring out the shine. you really need to heat it up with a wool pad on a power buffer.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
    08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
    08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
    08 OPA High Points Champion
    10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )