Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Noob needs help selecting first go-fast... >

Noob needs help selecting first go-fast...

Notices

Noob needs help selecting first go-fast...

Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Noob needs help selecting first go-fast...

Let me preface this post by saying I have been trolling this site for a couple years now, picking up info wherever I can.

I am still not as savvy with boats as I am with cars, so please bear with me if I say anything stupid. I'm just interested to hear everybody's opinion that cares to offer it to me... I have a completely open mind.

Here are my criteria and how I plan to use the boat:

Usage: Trailering to Lake Michigan, Chain O Lakes, possible LOTO. Looking for durability cuz I know it gets big out there.
Size: 28-32
Power: twins, just in case one decides to quit on the lake... unless someone can make a really good case for a single. Looking for something 700-800 hp or so in total, I guess.
Speed: 70+?
Price: Want to spend $30,000-40,000
Year:90 or newer

I would also like a boat that is party (and female ) friendly, so it has to have a bench in the back with a sun/swim pad + platform. A cabin is a must too... No stripper race boats.

Here are a few that grabbed my attention... What do you think?

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o20283-en.html

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19721-en.html

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=75118&url=

Lay it on me.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Those all look like nice choices. You would always have bragging rights with the Apache, even if slower than a beak boat with the same motors. The Apache is likely to hold it's value best, like a very special muscle car.

We have a 1988 Sonic 30SS, cruised all over the place in it, stayed on it up to ten days at a time. The sliding cushion that goes under the v berth is genius, and we prefer sleeping on that boat to sleeping at home. TONS of room with a separate head, and THAT is critical IMO. You might want to check those out, as most agree the Sonic 30SS is the biggest and most user friendly inside.

The Y2K 30 foot Superboat with a single in it is a great choice also, but a bit cramped inside. One of the newer fuel injected singles is going to be super reliable and much cheaper to operate. Hence the attraction of the Superboat if cruising long distances.

Last edited by CBR; 01-08-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your boating exp. Is this your first boat or your first performance boat?

Jon
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They are all nice boats! Good luck choosing
Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Both the apache and pantera look good. I'd buy the one thats in the best shape. There was a thread about 2-4 weeks ago about that apache.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Yes, a marine survey is absolutely necessary before agreeing on a price.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Registered

In know of a 1995 Baja 32 Caliber with twin 454EFIs (770hp), 4 bolsters, latham steering, Eagle trailer, very low hours, like new, owned by a dealer since new and never titled.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Of the boats you have listed, I (personally) would probably lean toward the Pantera. The Apache and the Pantera are both going to handle big water better than the Donzi, but the Donzi is probably going to be much more economical to operate given the 2xsmall block engines. Definitely have a survey done on any of them (you'll probably have to anyway if you're financing). It's true that the Apache will probably hold value the best, but most Apaches I've seen have been beat on pretty good. They are made to withstand it, though. Resale value is kinda screwy right now 'cause the boat market sucks.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Registered

If I were you (a newbee), I would look for a Formula 292, Fountain 29, or a Baja 30.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Budget will make or kill you on your first offshore. Be prepared for insurance, fuel, repairs, etc. Also, if you're towing, remember you won't be pulling a 30+ foot boat with twins all that safely or legally with an F-150.

Your listed parameters sound pretty much right on. Don't make the mistake of hurrying this process- unless you're prepared to write some big checks to bail yourself out. I've seen beautiful boats at nice prices that were nightmares underneath. A profesional high-performance survey is a must. You're at a little of a disadvantage since a sea trial isn't an option this time of year but a good surveyor will work you around this.

You're going to have to navigate a delicate balance between...

Year
Name Brand
Size
Power/drives
Condition.

Decide in advance what you're willing to compromize on and that will make your decisions easier.

Quick Reply: Noob needs help selecting first go-fast...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.