540 stroker,,DUD engine, dont do it. >

540 stroker,,DUD engine, dont do it.

Notices

540 stroker,,DUD engine, dont do it.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PitBull - You gave the impression that you were asking a question. Now that you got a majority opinion that you don't like, you're claiming to have just been making a statement. You can't have it both ways. You've been out-voted, but that's not what matters. Show some class and relax. Everyone's allowed their opinion and their own choices, including you. And me - I'm sticking with my "ineffecient" 540's.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's Buddy00 all over again!!! He has found out over the last 6 months, so Mr. Hoursepower who has actually been building them for 30 years don't know chit? F this idiot, if he can build MB junk why the F don't he put a couple of them in his junkie boat and shut the F up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PIT BULL
mrhp, Your first post gives me the impression that you do bench work on a pic nic table in a back yard full of farm animals. And you agree with me by telling me I know the answer.. Your second post you agree again with what I said about 557s. Which proves my point. You have been building 557 FOR YEARS you say. Whats the problem? You haven't moved on to the next thing. I own a 7000 sq ft Mercedes Benz repair shop with 9 lifts that I built from the ground up. I rebuild MB engines and transmissions in house. Got a 4,000 lb 99 e class to run 10.60s. Got my Harley to run 12.0s.and my daily driven pick up in the low 12 as well. Not saying I am an expert marine engine builder. But I know how to make things work. There are a lot of engine builders that go through life thinking bigger is better,and more is better. Only because there not smart enough to read, learn or question others.Go ahead be a follower and keep building the same thing you have been. Good engine builders evolve to new things.
If you have a 502 with a 4.000 stroke and a 6.135 connecting rod that figures out to a 1.53 rod ratio with a 19.03 angle on the cylinder wall. On a 540 with a 4.250 stroke and a 6.385 connecting rod that has a 1.50 rod ratio and a 19.44 degree angle on the cylinder wall. How are you getting more friction ??. I ran a 67 camaro 7.20's and it was street legal and my Harley runs low 11's sreet legal and my cadilac gets 25 MPG.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TylerCrockett
If you have a 502 with a 4.000 stroke and a 6.135 connecting rod that figures out to a 1.53 rod ratio with a 19.03 angle on the cylinder wall. On a 540 with a 4.250 stroke and a 6.385 connecting rod that has a 1.50 rod ratio and a 19.44 degree angle on the cylinder wall. How are you getting more friction ??. I ran a 67 camaro 7.20's and it was street legal and my Harley runs low 11's sreet legal and my cadilac gets 25 MPG.
Thank you for the science. Case Closed! I'd trade my 509 for a 540.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned

mrhp, Your first post gives me the impression that you do bench work on a pic nic table in a back yard full of farm animals. And you agree with me by telling me I know the answer.. Your second post you agree again with what I said about 557s. Which proves my point. You have been building 557 FOR YEARS you say. Whats the problem? You haven't moved on to the next thing. I own a 7000 sq ft Mercedes Benz repair shop with 9 lifts that I built from the ground up. I rebuild MB engines and transmissions in house. Got a 4,000 lb 99 e class to run 10.60s. Got my Harley to run 12.0s.and my daily driven pick up in the low 12 as well. Not saying I am an expert marine engine builder. But I know how to make things work. There are a lot of engine builders that go through life thinking bigger is better,and more is better. Only because there not smart enough to read, learn or question others.Go ahead be a follower and keep building the same thing you have been. Good engine builders evolve to new things.
We don't follow we lead, and I personally don't have time to deal with BS. All on the board here including my good friend Tyler and others were just trying to help you answer your question. We have a list of achievements, national records, championships, ect. dating back from 1955 which I do not have to boast about. Before you open your trap you should first know who your shouting at and acting like a kid born with a gold spoon in his Azz. Or may be a Mercedes emblem.

Last edited by mrhorsepower1; 01-30-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Dude your way off base!
Guess ya dont get out much if ya dont know who
MR. Horsepower is.

Whats next?????Whos Sterling????

Please!!!
Pull my Finger and I will tell ya more!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Was waiting for the "I own this car and it's this fast. I own this bike, and it's this fast. I own a MB shop..." blah, blah, blah. You just lost all credibility.

As was stated before, you started off asking a question and for opinions. When the opinions didn't align with yours, you began trashing well-respected engine builders on this board. As mrhp said, he and others on this board have many "documented" accomplishments to hang their hat on. When you jump into an argument with "Well known engine builders who don't want their name mentioned" well....
Old 01-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so I'm not sure what to do now, I've got 500 bulldogs with 70hrs on them, should I send them to Pit Bull and get them refreshed before this summer or I am I safe to run them for another season.

If I do get them freshened and put a mercedees benz fuel injection system on and the black plastic covers from a 500 SL AMG would that get my boat to break 100, of course that is assuming I put 45 inch 6 blade herring's on my bravo's to handle the horse power gain.

Would I also have to run a synthetic oil because of the new fuel injection.

My Hull is very AERODYNAMIC so I think this is possible what do you guys think.

These threads seem to raise so many questions
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Registered

yeah post # 28.......saw that comeing
Old 01-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

PitBull:

I salute you for trying to use a little math and science to look at a discussion issue of deck height versus stroke combinations. I think everyone here on the forum appreciates your ideas, questions and discussion.

This is the life blood of the forum, questions? discussions, opinions and answers!

As for your qustion and views about the 540 versus 557 I would point out as an engine builder that it is somewhat important to look at rod to stroke ratios on deck heights in planning an engine but there are other things to take into account. One, the rod length and piston compression height can be easily varied to overcome angularity and piston speed issues as they relate to side loads and power losses. Two,the application and average rpm range the engine will be operating in and the loads that will be exposed to the combination must be taken into account. As we all know drag engines are a different animal than boat engines and the requirements for both are so different, its like comparing apples to pomegranits.
My expierence and the history of the marine engine 540 short deck motor has been one of nothing but pretty good successes. The strength of the 502 siamised bore block coupled with a 6.385 rod, a 1.314 CH and a 4.25" stroke in a 9.8" deck 502 block makes more torque and horsepower than any similar 502 and will run many happy hours if "ITS BUILT RIGHT" !!
This is the perfect rebuild or replacement for any HP500, HP525SC HP525 or 502 siamesed block engine upgrade.
Harmonics and side loads are not an issue and the quality of the machining, crank, rods, pistons, rings, the bearing clearances, piston clearances and crankshaft designs and balance will determeine how successful the engine will be.

Is the 555-557 cubic inch combo a good marine motor combo, you bet, why do you think Mercury Racing uses it on the 850, 1075 and 1200 HP combination engines!

Keep the ideas, opinions and discussion coming it benefits all our OSO family !!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Quick Reply: 540 stroker,,DUD engine, dont do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.