If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mercury 500 EFI

Off the Radar Platinum Member Linster's Avatar
    My Boats:
    39 Cigarette Unlimited, 24 South Bay Tri-toon, & Seadoo GTX
    Short Pump or Colonial Beach, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    I know, I was coming back to post the 540 info....but I still say run the hell out of stock 500's and re-build more often as necessary.
    You can trade me for stock 500's if you dislike them so much. Your pain in was self inflicted in the builds
    Life is getting better every day!

S.O.B (single O/B) now Platinum Member t500hps's Avatar
    Richmond VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Linster View Post
    You can trade me for stock 500's if you dislike them so much. Your pain in was self inflicted in the builds
    I'll admit that too. Look at my first post here (#12). I like the motors but for the money spentI wouldn't do it again.

We haven't seen much of you lately, call me sometime. How's the place at the river coming along?

My Boats:
    '99 Carbon Fiber Lip-Ship Top Gun
    Denham Springs, La.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by offshoredrillin View Post
    if you are in Al, go see mark at precision marine in Kenner LA, he did my comp and they rock..if not him tyler will hook ya up...
    Likewise, Mark's a great guy and is really sharp with EFI. Not discounting any of the aforementioned engine guys because they all have great reputations and are all very knowledgeable. Just suggesting Mark because of proximity.

Also, if you are in Montgomery, Ala. and you would rather have someone else handle the mods for you, talk to Steve at Cathouse Performance Marine in Prattville. Good friend of mine and takes much pride in his work. Small shop but good guy to deal with. He does a lot of work with Mark at Precision.

Good luck

My Boats:
    Sunsation and Apache
    Ottawa, Ontario,Canada baby!
    40BADBOY, you won't see much gain unless you either open up the stock heads, or replace them. They are a big limiting factor on the HP500EFI's. I have done the larger throttle body, and ECm reprogram. Didn't gain schit. So, I finally just Whippled the b itch. I'm good now :-)

I had a friend rebuild his 500 (carb) . new cam, higher compression, but didn't touch the heads. He went up a 1/2 pitch in prop and gained, MAYBE, 2 mph. He's pissed. He didn't touch the heads.

Registered VIP Member
    My Boats:
    i have the same motors with 250 hrs. is it worth doing the heads cam and throttle body with out doing the bottom right now and is the crane 168731 big enough to do the job.

Platinum Member Platinum Member ApachePete's Avatar
    Sarasota,FL & Saugatuck, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerCrockett View Post
    I have a new intake top that will be available soon that has a 2000 cfm throttlebody built right in the top that will bolt right on your intake. I tested one last week on a Merc 525 and picked up 18 HP and 18 #of torque at the same RPM's. I also can reprogram your ecu.
    Save your money.

Michigan Mad Man Racer
    My Boats:
    Crockett Marine Engines - OPA Class 6 Champions 2007
    Ruby, Mi
    Quote Originally Posted by ApachePete View Post
    Save your money.
    What do you mean by that comment ????

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234