Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Outerlimits Powerboats Hits Top Speed in Powerboat Magazine Performance Trials (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/178828-outerlimits-powerboats-hits-top-speed-powerboat-magazine-performance-trials.html)

Outerlimits PR 02-01-2008 01:55 PM

Outerlimits Powerboats Hits Top Speed in Powerboat Magazine Performance Trials

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
954-564-7234
cell 954-649-4904

OUTERLIMITS POWERBOATS DIALS IT IN FOR POWERBOAT MAGAZINE TRIALS

When the Powerboat Magazine Performance Trials resumed at the Sanibel Island Resort at the end of 2007, Outerlimits was there, ready to rock and roll in a 46’ Limited with a new set of Mercury Racing 1075 SCi’s. Fresh from the factory, the test team did some last minute adjustments before the run, fine tuning all the details.

They ran the boat in the morning, had a few problems, and before sundown, the 46 ran a second leg and took off into the sunset. It was a stellar wrap up to a great day of hard work, as the boat turned out a screaming 127 mph and left the Powerboat Testing Team with big smiles on their faces.

Unfortunately, those smiles turned to frowns when the long-awaited magazine hit the streets and the editorial crew, as well as the Outerlimits team found that the120 mph top speed figure quoted in the magazine was incorrect. No one is infallible, a correction will be run in the next issue, and the corrected article will be online at www.powerboatmag.com, but the printed review was very disappointing to the diligent Outerlimits team.

“Regrettably, the top speed number we published in the March issue for the 46 Limited was incorrect,” said Gregg Mansfield, editor of Powerboat magazine. “During the copy editing process, the speed was changed to a top speed the Test Team had gotten earlier in the day. Our testers got a top speed of 127 mph during the final run of the day. In fact, the Outerlimits 46 Limited was the fastest offshore V-bottom we tested during the 2008 Performance Trials.”

Outerlimits is constantly fine-tuning each of its boats, always in search of perfection and the company’s efforts were shown to be successful on Florida’s Gulf Coast last December. “We are working on some new things to show this year that are beyond what I ever dreamed of 15 years ago,” he states, noting the company’s 15th anniversary year.

Matt Trulio 02-01-2008 02:42 PM

Hey Folks,

Just want to lend my voice to help Outerlimits set the record straight. I write for Powerboat magazine (I wrote the review of the 46 Limited), and I was in the 46 Limited for morning and late-afternoon testing. During the late-afternoon session with Bob Teague throttling and John Tomlinson driving, the boat did reach 127 mph, as recorded on GPS, as well as on the radar gun I was holding.

Editing mistakes and factual errors happen in magazines. If a magazine doesn't run corrections, it doesn't mean that magazine doesn't make mistakes. It means they're ignoring them.

I am pleased and proud to work for a magazine that recognizes and, to the best of its ability, corrects its errors. I am also pleased and proud (and damn lucky) to be able to help test amazing products from a company like Outerlimits.

Matt Trulio

GLH 02-01-2008 07:32 PM

Impressive. Congrats

jayboat 02-01-2008 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 2429230)
Hey Folks,

Just want to lend my voice to help Outerlimits set the record straight. I write for Powerboat magazine (I wrote the review of the 46 Limited), and I was in the 46 Limited for morning and late-afternoon testing. During the late-afternoon session with Bob Teague throttling and John Tomlinson driving, the boat did reach 127 mph, as recorded on GPS, as well as on the radar gun I was holding.

Editing mistakes and factual errors happen in magazines. If a magazine doesn't run corrections, it doesn't mean that magazine doesn't make mistakes. It means they're ignoring them.

I am pleased and proud to work for a magazine that recognizes and, to the best of its ability, corrects its errors. I am also pleased and proud (and damn lucky) to be able to help test amazing products from a company like Outerlimits.

Matt Trulio

Lewis Grizzard has my favorite quote of all time:

I fear guilt by typographical error.

Congratulations to OL!

oldschoolfan 02-02-2008 08:07 AM

I heard they outsource the editing to some guy in the Carolinas named Reggie is there any truth to this?

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-02-2008 08:22 AM

Congrats Outerlimts and thank you for your input Matt.

A guy I used to work for had a boat test and write up done by Hot Boat on a new design he had come up with.

The boat performed beyond their expectations and the only thing they could pick on was a few gel imperfections and a rusted cowling pin on an old 2.5 Mercury outboard.
Let me note, it was a "Running Plug" with an extreme low budget. He was really counting on this article to give him his break into the industry. Well he had bad luck with the editing in his article too! They published the wrong phone number as his point of contact... :(

From what I was told they would not give him a credit for what he had paid to have the article done and I am not sure if they even ran a correction or not...

Rest assured, with the Outerlimits speed of 127mph with 1075's in a 46 footer will be the talk at the Miami Boat Show... :drink:

Matt,
Thanks again for the immediate correction and acknowledgement of the error...

CAP071 02-02-2008 08:32 AM

Congrats!

bojoe2 02-02-2008 08:41 AM

congrats OL and Mike. Thanks for setting the record straight Matt.

dykstra 02-02-2008 11:18 AM

Congrats to OL

Semper Fi 02-02-2008 01:00 PM

Congrats OL- those are Impressive numbers for such a large boat!