Diesel engines in speed boat

Notices

Diesel engines in speed boat

Old 01-30-2016, 08:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
The point i was trying to make is turbo diesels i dont think respond well to coming on and off the gas
You are exactly right. That was our biggest challenge on the Key West to Cancun run once we got into the really big water in the Yucatan Straits beyond Cuba. It was a lot of work constantly on and off the throttles and we found we had to back off and keep the drives in the water as much as possible and it cost us MPH. We found we could get spooled back up quicker by trimming the drives up but that of course would want to launch us again so it was back and forth or back off.

Bob

Bob
Old 01-30-2016, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodoo
Duramax VGT's spool up at very low boost but may not support really big power
and then the crank will break.Happens in trucks,gonna happen quicker in a boat,especially a heavy boat.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,285 Likes on 474 Posts

[QUOTE=sutphen 30;4398539]and then the crank will break.Happens in trucks,gonna happen quicker in a boat,especially a heavy boat.[/QUOTE

Guess Waglers really screwed then
Attached Thumbnails Diesel engines in speed boat-image.jpg  
Old 01-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=hoodoo;4398685]
Originally Posted by sutphen 30
and then the crank will break.Happens in trucks,gonna happen quicker in a boat,especially a heavy boat.[/QUOTE

Guess Waglers really screwed then
My engines don't have stock parts.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:34 PM
Registered

I know, that was my point, your not stuck with a crank built for 300hp
Old 01-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Whats the diff between a cummins 8.3 marine engine and say an 8.3 that came out of a school bus or piece of heavy equipment?
Im interested in building a diesel powered boat about 40 ft to run from my island to cartagena daily about a 1.5 hour trip.
I will buy à boat rigged with arnesons and would like to put a pair of 500 hp ish cummins in it. Single speed gear with air tubes on the drives to help get it on plane but not looking to drop 140k on a pair of engines.
I see guys making decent power with the old 8.3 mech fi. On some of the diesel forums.
if i can run a combination of components from the iroginal engine and some marine stuff added to marinize it and throw in a few of joes mods like the on pistons to make it live, i think i could do it on a reasonable budget. I see those old 8.3 diesels in 40 year old busses down here in colombia still running daily!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:53 PM
Registered

They weigh about 2000lbs dry
Old 01-30-2016, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

[QUOTE=Bigyellowcat;4398707]

did you gave up on the wankel design?
Old 01-31-2016, 02:31 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

[QUOTE=Bigyellowcat;4398707]

I'd run that drive clutch if I were you
Old 01-31-2016, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
I have a question for you joe, on running a diesel boat like say a 41 saber/apachce with a pair of cummins diesels in it with arnesons.
When you leave the water coming off big waves the diesels dont throttle up and down quickly , correct?, like a gas engine coming on and off of the throttles. ld think would let the turbo spool down enough for it to take a little while to be back to where it was when you chopped the throttles.
That being the case, Whats the best way to run a fast diesel powered boat in big water.
Have you ever tried a jake brake or driveline brake to unload the drive when youre air born.
i would think you do not want to over speed the engines or land with the throttles wfo
Ĺike when the posche turbo cars race, the diver stays on the gas and slows the car using the brakes but never fully coming off the gas so the turbo is always spooled up.
It would seem the instant on/off of a jake brake would have the engines at max power quicker.
Thx for sharing all your hard earned diesel knowledge with us. Rm
I have to say I only ran older mechanical engines can not speak for the newer electronic engines BUT I would assume they are not much different?

I've heard people say Buzzi would bungie cord the throttles to wide open and run the boat - that is 100% false! Watch Buzzi in Cowes Torquat Cowes maybe 88 or 89 it was rough and the boat was flying - Buzzi throttled 3 times as much as the gas boats and here's why but again mechanical fuel pumps

1) With the throttles held in a steady position (not throttled) when the props loose their bite as in leaving the water the governor would sense that the engine wants to rev way up and cuts the fuel to prevent run away without you doing anything - OK

2) When that fuel is cut to prevent run away with the loss of load on the engine, that makes less cylinder heat/pressure and the turbo boost with drop to near ZERO.

3) When the prop re-enters the water the load on the engine increase, the rpms drop the governor senses that loss and adds fuel again without moving the throttles.

4) The problem is the engine has lost boost and with the prop loaded once again the engine can not accelerate and build boost - that's the sequence of events.

Now to combat that when the props leave the water YES you pull the throttles back BUT not to prevent over-speed as much as to have the throttles back so you can pump them from idle to full throttle rapidly while the props are in the air and be ready to be push them from idle to full load as you re-enter the water.

The theory and it works is when air borne since there is no load on the props there NO WAY to build boost. The rapid idle to full tricks the governor and for split seconds the governor goes to full throttle and dumps in fuel, those quick spurts of fuel would keep heat in the cylinders and keep some boost on the turbo.

If you doubt that watch Buzzi throttles, he works harder than you think!

Jake brakes or things like that can't react fast enough to do what I describe above - I firmly believe that running a raceboat in rough water is a "feel" thing, you have it or you don't. Just because you could run a gas boat didn't mean you could run a diesel boat!