Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel engines in speed boat >

Diesel engines in speed boat

Notices

Diesel engines in speed boat

Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only problem is that you aint gonna go fast and thats why we're here....
Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
I dont know if they are still available but I know that the 7.3 turbodiesels (international/ford) were packaged by Merc with the bravo diesel drives and made a very reliable,powerful (300hp/550ftlb) and relatively compact package and way cheaper than a comparable Yanmar/Arneson setup.
seatek 800hp with trimax 2000hours carantee
the best conbination and speeds more than 85 knots in a 18 meters boat cruise speed at 38 knots only 120 liters per hour in 3 engines pack
no smoke no oil in engine room and every 2000 hours 20000$ service and again 2000 hours
Attached Thumbnails Diesel engines in speed boat-dscn0482.jpg   Diesel engines in speed boat-dscn0497.jpg  
Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not trying to break b*lls here, but this is right off the Seatek website:

"The Seatek Mod. 820 Plus is a totally mechanic controlled engine with a unique power to weight ratio. It is a very high performance model and it represents the last result of the Research and Develop department which focused on getting a reliable engine with long maintenance schedule and amazing TBO (over 1000 hours)."

TBO (Time Between Overhaul) or engine rebuild is over 1,000 hours, how could they guarantee it for 2,000 hrs when they tell you prepare to re-build it at around 1,000 hrs????

Again, just saying, it don't seem right?

I'm bored, don't mind me!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 02-04-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 236 Posts

I have thousands of hours of exprience with the 315 Yanmar diesel which is a marinzed Toyota light duty machinery engine and at 3000rpm it burns 9 gallons an hour and 15 an hour at 4000.

At 1500 hours you are going to need a turbo rebuild .At 3000 hours the engine will only have 80 percent of the power it had due to lost compression.

I think a lot of fuel burn and length of service figures i have seen on here are under and over quoted.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

question: how come when people run diesels, they run surface drives? how come you need to run a different sterndrive when running diesel comapred to regular gasoline?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 236 Posts

Just wanted to say that i don't know anything, i was just relating my experiences .

I just see way to many miserly accounts of fuel burn when ever the D word comes up.

Joe I really enjoy reading about your experiences with the Seateks and like.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

tommymonza - thank you.

Your Yanmars are great, they build a great engine that lasts and they sell it a good number - can't beat that.

Ps When I state fuel burn numbers they are on the dyno which will burn much more than in a boat. Mine are always a little high and you made me remember that we didn't factor in return on the SuperFlow sheets that I post. We played alot with higher fuel lift pump pressures, so numbers get skewed.

Diesels regardless of who makes them, if you figure about .32 lbs/Hp/hr your safe with what it burns.

I can tell you all about the problems that caused, but that is whole page by itself!

Perlmudder -

Normal drives hold up and last, read the docs I posted on this thread. Damm, the UIM 2 I reference earlier from 1989 ran the Merc 3 or 4 drives with diesels and overdrives and it flew and held up. Red & yellow just can't remember the name????

You need to mimic a gas engine to perform like a gas engine, this is so basic and proven over 20 years ago.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jordy
Sorry to single you out... I just cringe when someone mentions a 3208, out of reflex I suppose... There are so many other options right now that don't even come close to being the slug that that oil leaking dirty Cat was...

Although, if anyone is looking for a 0 hr reman 3208, I'll make you a hell of a deal, just to get it out from the front window of my parts department... and even brand new, it's only leaking a little bit of oil out of the main seal.

Agreed, I do not think they have built new ones for several years (2002-2003 ?????). It has drawbacks as it is not a sleeved engine,no common rail, etc. but they do run a long time. Good motor if you find a cruiser with them as power.

You a Cat dealer ?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Registered

Default Lightweight Aluminum Diesel's

Not going to see too many of these from Cummins, Volvo or Cat. You're looking a Kubota, Yanmar, Isuzu, etc. for these types of engines. So far I think of these manufacturers only Yanmar is strong in the marine industry and I think they are doing it in the cruiser market with a much heavier (more iron) model.

Keep in mind that diesel is better accepted outside the US for consumer use (rather than industrial). I am sure there are tons of reasons but two that come to mind are GM's unsuccessful forray into automotive diesels and CARB.

I think it would be great to have a low weight high horsepower diesel engine in a performance boat. I love to cruise at 60-70mph and typically put a lot of hours on a boat. Having a diesel that would improve efficiency, provide the cruise numbers and a decent top end in the mid 80's (I don't have to win the race, I enjoy to trip) would be the perfect combination.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink What no diesel!

Yes I am reading this post and learning more things I never knew. This proves you can get smarter even if you're getting older. Just keep reading OSO.
As for our project, were plinking along slowly and learning a lot of things about the Duramax I am sure very few people know. But we are busy with the LSM 550 engine program launch and the Real Duramax Performance Marine engine is still about $500,000 and a good year away.
I know we will sell a few of these when its ready,but I am concerned as most other diesel developers that the high performance boating community will step up in Quanity to the higher price tag for the benefits of diesels in small boats!
Old saying in boating industry- 'You make it, no one buy it, you go broke!!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Quick Reply: Diesel engines in speed boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.