Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Raylar engine kits ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/179009-raylar-engine-kits.html)

Westcoast 02-05-2008 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by flying J (Post 2434313)
Thanks Westcoast

I may get back to you later to see what the final results are. Sounds like a 10mph pickup is possible with this hull and motor upgrade.

Anytime

kr1276 02-05-2008 06:54 PM

I too have had an interest in the Raylar package. With trips, it is quite pricey for guesswork. Ray has provided a tremendous amount of info but it is not the same as hearing from those who actually own the boat. I want to hear the good and the bad so I can make a educated decision and have the confidence I need for the type of boating we do. It seems that very few owners respond...only installers.

boating37 02-05-2008 07:46 PM

I have been told by Raylar that their are a lot of these installed on boats,come on guys help us out with some info.

Westcoast 02-05-2008 07:50 PM

PM SDFEVER He is the owner of the kit I installed. He's got lots to say about the kit.

boating37 02-12-2008 04:57 AM

Thanks for the info.....

Escape Velocity 02-12-2008 07:48 PM

I know you've asked about customer experiences with the 103 kit, but here's my perspective on the 106 kit as I stated in another thread:

I'm really happy with my Raylar HO600. The last two years have been nothing but putting gas in the tank and changing the engine oil from a reliability standpoint. Even after upgrading the drive from Bravo X to XR (which requires more horsepower to turn the gears) and adding mufflers, I picked up over 12 mph with my 28' Velocity.This kind of power increase completely transformed the boat. If you go the HO 600 route, you wind up with forged pistons and upgraded rods which also gives me peace of mind.

the bear 02-13-2008 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Escape Velocity (Post 2443079)
I know you've asked about customer experiences with the 103 kit, but here's my perspective on the 106 kit as I stated in another thread:

I'm really happy with my Raylar HO600. The last two years have been nothing but putting gas in the tank and changing the engine oil from a reliability standpoint. Even after upgrading the drive from Bravo X to XR (which requires more horsepower to turn the gears) and adding mufflers, I picked up over 12 mph with my 28' Velocity.This kind of power increase completely transformed the boat. If you go the HO 600 route, you wind up with forged pistons and upgraded rods which also gives me peace of mind.

Did you have to change your drives, I have been looking at the 106, and was just curious, does the 106 use the stock exhaust or did you change yours? I have been thanking of adding the CMI first then the 106 later.

Escape Velocity 02-13-2008 07:46 PM

I chose to upgrade my drive to ensure I wouldn't have any issues down the road, however, I'm not qualified to say if it was absolutely necessary. I upgraded my exhaust to Bassett tri-y headers as they were the best option at the time. Since then, Dana and CMI have introduced headers that also work well with the 496. You certainly can't go wrong upgrading to the CMI's because anything you do to the engine later will benefit from the improved breathing.

the bear 02-14-2008 07:41 AM

Thanks EV.....

tblrklakemo 02-14-2008 11:20 AM

Ray, the package prices on your website are still messed up.