Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Can anyone identify this? It's strange . . . (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/179066-can-anyone-identify-its-strange.html)

BROWNIE 02-05-2008 07:06 AM

That was the original English Cougar built "pleasure" catamaran. It wasn't aerodymaic, but it was very stable. They sold some to Sri Lanka for 'pirate busting', with a 20mm Oerlikon mackine gun. It was the only 30' around that could take the rotational force of firing that big mother over the side. They also sold some the South Africa, that had to be launched and retrieved from a frigate at 25 knots! No small feat.

Cig35Mistress 02-05-2008 08:08 AM

Brownie:

How'd the boat run? Is the hull capable of attaining any real speed?

Thanks,

Harry

yss 02-05-2008 12:02 PM

That there is a skater cat. Fer sure.

whatabout1 02-05-2008 02:59 PM

The first one looks like a Chris Cat.

Looked at one in back of some boatworks in Hollywood Fl about 10 yrs ago.
We had a customer who wanted one, history I guess.
Was warned to watch for transom and bulkhead rot.

I crawled about half way into the nose (full of old interior and rain water)
to check the bulkhead. That's when my "so called" buddy started yelling
SNAKE. Frick, never moved so fast in my life.
He didn't stop laughing for a week.

Looks like the Chris Cat I looked at.

Gerhard_M 08-12-2014 08:59 AM

Wellcraft Cougar Cat / Production Years & Quantities

Originally Posted by BROWNIE (Post 2433434)
That was the original English Cougar built "pleasure" catamaran. It wasn't aerodymaic, but it was very stable. They sold some to Sri Lanka for 'pirate busting', with a 20mm Oerlikon mackine gun. It was the only 30' around that could take the rotational force of firing that big mother over the side. They also sold some the South Africa, that had to be launched and retrieved from a frigate at 25 knots! No small feat.

@Brownie,
Since many years I'm a real fan of the old Wellcraft Cougar Cat. Some years ago I bought the one and only I could find since many years of searching (the boat of this thread!). It's a 1981 and was in the worst condition you could imagine as I bought it... some months before the owner had to sweep it away.
Restoration is going on; I also made moldings because I believe in the good performance of this boat.
Do you know about how many of them were produced? Which were the production years? I could find the boat only in the 1981 Wellcraft brochure.

Hope you (or someone else) can help.
Gerhard

BROWNIE 08-12-2014 09:47 AM

They only built a few. It was a pleasant boat to run. More like a v than a cat. When Wellcraft started building them in 1984, Everyone tried the new DCPD resin, which gave a fabulous finsh, was tougher than anything else, BUT, it did not make a good secondary bond. When the hull skin lamination was cured, if it was on Friday, when the crew came in on Monday, the secondary laminations, stringers, liner, etc. did not adhere. All those boats with that resin that were run hard, fell apart. No one realized the cause at that time, so Wellcraft quit building them after just a few. The stuff they built in England was strong like bull and gove no problems.

Swamplizard13 08-12-2014 09:52 AM

get a nice catamaran "sneeze" off the front of that - might want to keep the glass after all.

fastdonzi 08-12-2014 09:58 AM

Tony Roberts Popped a mold from one that Cougar left behind and sold about 5-7 of them to the Venezuelain Navy, they had Merlin Diesels and Arneson Drives, went about 55 mph. Some Had .50 Cal Machine Gun Mounts...

hullofjustis 08-12-2014 10:20 AM

Is it for sale? It is a wellcraft. I have never seen one before and have seen 2 in the last 2 days.

glenncal1 08-12-2014 11:48 AM

Get the HIN and check the Coast Guard database to see who the Manuf is.