Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
anybody ever priced themselves out of the market? >

anybody ever priced themselves out of the market?

Notices

anybody ever priced themselves out of the market?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
The boat is cheaper to keep!
I don't know...she insists on paying for gas now and then and she washes down the whole outside while I'm flushing the motors. Tough to put a value on a chick that has the interest, desire and puts forth the effort. She does complain that it's too big though...but it's better than the alternative.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boats aren't investments.

I took my wife to California for a 4-day weekend over the hilidays. Probably dropped 5 grand when it was all said and done. We brought back 2 t-shirts for the kids. If you look at it one way, I bought two $2500 t-shirts. If you look at it another, we had an amazing time that reinvigorated us, brought us closer together and gave us memories we'll have for a long time.

That's how I view the boats. It's what I enjoy. When I'm stressed out from non-stop workdays, I can think about the time I spend on them or the projects I want to tackle and it perks me up. A tank of fuel for me is no different that taking friends to an expensive dinner.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people will build a quality engine(s) for their boat. When it comes time to get another boat they do an engine swap and put the big power in the new boat, "reboat your power" as it's called.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
A lot of people will build a quality engine(s) for their boat. When it comes time to get another boat they do an engine swap and put the big power in the new boat, "reboat your power" as it's called.
Thats exactly what I was getting at.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

I'd have to disagree on the "boats not being an investment" Its still an investment, just not a good one The last boat I sold I got back what I paid for it. BUT, I only put about 30hrs on it. I've already had an offer for $8K more than what I have into my current boat and I've only had it for 2 months. I could put new twin 496's and still get about 80% of that back. You just have to be smart about it.

I like the reboat idea.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
I don't know...she insists on paying for gas now and then and she washes down the whole outside while I'm flushing the motors. Tough to put a value on a chick that has the interest, desire and puts forth the effort. She does complain that it's too big though...but it's better than the alternative.
Point taken. Mine is much the same way. ALWAYS helps wash down, vacuum inside, anything that needs doing - and really enjoys boating as well. Plus, mine's the wife, not GF. It would cost me WAY too much to get rid of her!!

BTW, I know about it being a ***** to keep clean. Thought going from 31' to 38' wouldn't be much more to take care of - BS!! That's a lot more boat!!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I purchased mine for $17,5 and spent another $13k in rebuilds etc. I think I would be hard pressed to get 30k for a 1992 especially in this market or lack there of. Friends think I am nuts for spending $100.00 on fuel,but,they always want to ride. I need another $1500 in stereo and interior work. It is worth every penny for all the friends I have made with the same disease.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Bullet me to but im 240 in fuel nopt just a hundoo, each day sat and sun but worth it all
Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger
Bullet me to but im 240 in fuel nopt just a hundoo, each day sat and sun but worth it all
Yep, mine's "only" 80 gallons a side but still, at 3.59+ on the water, that's an easy $500+ fill-up. It hurts, but like above, I've made many good friends in this hobby. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[Probably will wind up moving up to a TS Gun or Tiger so why waste the money on the current straight bottom boat? I think I have somewhat learned my lesson! Yeah, right!![/QUOTE]

let me know when you are ready to move up to a twin step and add another 15 mph, maybe the end of this season

Wild

Quick Reply: anybody ever priced themselves out of the market?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.