Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Salvage rights on a lake (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/179760-salvage-rights-lake.html)

oldschoolfan 02-13-2008 06:06 PM

[edit] Ship salvage and the law
Salvage law has as a basis that a salvor should be rewarded for risking his life and property to rescue the property of another from peril. A vessel is considered in peril if it is in danger or could become in danger. Examples of a vessel in peril are when it is aground or in danger of going aground.

Prior to a salvage attempt the salvor receives permission from the owner or the master to assist the vessel. If the vessel is abandoned no permission is needed.

Read the last sentence.

bgchuby01 02-13-2008 06:18 PM

Robert good to see you up and running again on the site

jlaudio29 02-13-2008 06:24 PM

story is pretty crazy, as far as legal action, if the owner is that distraught over the incident, something tells me he wont want to bring up bad memories enough to get legally involved

Also if your willing to dive 80ft for a drive, more power to you i say its yours. you could pay me the amoun the drive cost new to dive 80ft unless there are bars of gold down there

if he brings it up, get some pics of the drive id like to see what it looks like after so long underwater. if it had fresh anodes on it id assume it might be fine depending on how long they last?

flat rate 02-13-2008 07:34 PM

I wouldn't want to ride in the boat those parts go in bad karma.

TexomaPowerboater 02-13-2008 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolfan (Post 2444310)
[edit] Ship salvage and the law
Salvage law has as a basis that a salvor should be rewarded for risking his life and property to rescue the property of another from peril. A vessel is considered in peril if it is in danger or could become in danger. Examples of a vessel in peril are when it is aground or in danger of going aground.

Prior to a salvage attempt the salvor receives permission from the owner or the master to assist the vessel. If the vessel is abandoned no permission is needed.

Read the last sentence.

Careful there chief, laws on inland lakes are different than the open ocean. There could be more to it.

DKerns 02-13-2008 08:45 PM

There was an Alpha SS for sale on here not too long ago. I wouldn't salvage the other one! IMO

Anarchy Powerboats 02-13-2008 11:38 PM

Tell him to leave it.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-14-2008 07:37 AM

aint worth the greif & agravation on the diving, yet alone if the sherrif pulls up and a day in court is involved .. buy a damn drive off ebay:D

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-14-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by marylandmark (Post 2445016)
Money better spent would be on a lawyer after punching the guy that wants the drive in the mouth. :angry-smiley-038:

WOAH a lil tense after filling the truck with K1 :D:D

fund razor 02-14-2008 02:30 PM

I was wondering if the "new owner" would assume environmental liability from the abandoning owner.

I wouldn't want the karma.

It would be different if the hull/drive was in a yard somewhere. Something about a wreck still being submerged turns me off. Like it's a space that should be left alone.

Maybe if the guy wants the engine too.... he should be allowed to do this and then we can track all the troubles he has for years and years.