Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Late 90's Scarab 29's... Impressions? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/179800-late-90s-scarab-29s-impressions.html)

ECeptor 02-14-2008 09:37 AM

Anyone ever heard of installing Blackhawks on the standard 29? If so, what was the speed increase? Also, anyone heard of installing shorter Bravo drives? If so, what was the result?

I've been keeping my eye on the Scarab 29 for a couple of years. If work goes well this year then next spring I'll take the plunge!

baddogz28 02-15-2008 11:22 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.

hunster 02-15-2008 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard (Post 2444737)
How does a 29' Scarab handle in the rough stuff? Say, three foot breakers? Or mabey 6 ft swells?

You're ducking waves over the bow:party-smiley-004:

satisfactionII 02-15-2008 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard (Post 2444737)
How does a 29' Scarab handle in the rough stuff? Say, three foot breakers? Or mabey 6 ft swells?

I have a 26' ft Scarab and the chop is ok and a good ride after you have learned how to trim it, 6' swells..... these smaller boats launch like rockets and after the second swell you will STUFF-it. Stay at home in the 6' stuff.

pullmytrigger 02-16-2008 09:56 AM

ohhhhhhhhh the 29 Scarab with twin smallblocks.......my nemisis!
sharp looking boat

TexomaPowerboater 02-16-2008 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ECeptor (Post 2444939)
Anyone ever heard of installing Blackhawks on the standard 29? If so, what was the speed increase? Also, anyone heard of installing shorter Bravo drives? If so, what was the result?

I've been keeping my eye on the Scarab 29 for a couple of years. If work goes well this year then next spring I'll take the plunge!

From what I've researched here on OSO, and my limited knowledge of physics I believe you would have to change the x - dimension. I would look into the arneson/bravo conversion they have out now.

pullmytrigger 02-16-2008 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ECeptor (Post 2444939)

airpacker here on OSO has a(meaning one) Blackhawk on his boat he seems to have it working pretty good but I know hes pretty paranoid about breaking it as parts seem to be pretty scarce let alone props......let alone having two of them.......you might try some shorties with a 5 blade or something a little more conventional.......a smallblock Bravo boat would be nice.

Sick Stinger 02-17-2008 09:43 AM

Watch those 5 blades like to eat drives, especially a little air in them from a wave/wake and land in the throttle boom goes the drive. Anwya what do you guys think about the Velocitys. I love mine. I run to block island all summer long and this year plan to hit Martha's Vineyard. 3ft. close break i run right on the top of them all day at 60+. I do have K plane set up Hydro steering. Its a true 26 now alled a 280 but it rides great and has the 8.6 beam. Just though id throw that out there.
-Mike

ECeptor 02-17-2008 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger (Post 2447736)
airpacker here on OSO has a(meaning one) Blackhawk on his boat he seems to have it working pretty good but I know hes pretty paranoid about breaking it as parts seem to be pretty scarce let alone props......let alone having two of them.......you might try some shorties with a 5 blade or something a little more conventional.......a smallblock Bravo boat would be nice.

That sounds like the hot upgrade for the standard 29 - shorter drives and different props. The P-29/Blackhawk combo should be proof that hull likes less x-dimension, but I haven't heard of anyone who's tried it.