Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Late 90's Scarab 29's...  Impressions? >

Late 90's Scarab 29's... Impressions?

Notices

Late 90's Scarab 29's... Impressions?

Old 02-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone ever heard of installing Blackhawks on the standard 29? If so, what was the speed increase? Also, anyone heard of installing shorter Bravo drives? If so, what was the result?

I've been keeping my eye on the Scarab 29 for a couple of years. If work goes well this year then next spring I'll take the plunge!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard
How does a 29' Scarab handle in the rough stuff? Say, three foot breakers? Or mabey 6 ft swells?
You're ducking waves over the bow
Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard
How does a 29' Scarab handle in the rough stuff? Say, three foot breakers? Or mabey 6 ft swells?

I have a 26' ft Scarab and the chop is ok and a good ride after you have learned how to trim it, 6' swells..... these smaller boats launch like rockets and after the second swell you will STUFF-it. Stay at home in the 6' stuff.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

ohhhhhhhhh the 29 Scarab with twin smallblocks.......my nemisis!
sharp looking boat
Old 02-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ECeptor
Anyone ever heard of installing Blackhawks on the standard 29? If so, what was the speed increase? Also, anyone heard of installing shorter Bravo drives? If so, what was the result?

I've been keeping my eye on the Scarab 29 for a couple of years. If work goes well this year then next spring I'll take the plunge!
From what I've researched here on OSO, and my limited knowledge of physics I believe you would have to change the x - dimension. I would look into the arneson/bravo conversion they have out now.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ECeptor

airpacker here on OSO has a(meaning one) Blackhawk on his boat he seems to have it working pretty good but I know hes pretty paranoid about breaking it as parts seem to be pretty scarce let alone props......let alone having two of them.......you might try some shorties with a 5 blade or something a little more conventional.......a smallblock Bravo boat would be nice.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Watch those 5 blades like to eat drives, especially a little air in them from a wave/wake and land in the throttle boom goes the drive. Anwya what do you guys think about the Velocitys. I love mine. I run to block island all summer long and this year plan to hit Martha's Vineyard. 3ft. close break i run right on the top of them all day at 60+. I do have K plane set up Hydro steering. Its a true 26 now alled a 280 but it rides great and has the 8.6 beam. Just though id throw that out there.
-Mike
Old 02-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
airpacker here on OSO has a(meaning one) Blackhawk on his boat he seems to have it working pretty good but I know hes pretty paranoid about breaking it as parts seem to be pretty scarce let alone props......let alone having two of them.......you might try some shorties with a 5 blade or something a little more conventional.......a smallblock Bravo boat would be nice.
That sounds like the hot upgrade for the standard 29 - shorter drives and different props. The P-29/Blackhawk combo should be proof that hull likes less x-dimension, but I haven't heard of anyone who's tried it.