Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Surprised....no one is really talking about this new Drive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/179961-surprised-no-one-really-talking-about-new-drive.html)

glassdave 02-16-2008 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2447292)
The big question- when is Volvo Penta going to dive in to this market?

AMEN TO THAT!! If any one could do it they could . . . atleast bring back the DPX.

later 02-16-2008 08:36 AM

i wonder, since it is formula1 influenced if this is the rumored Ilmor drive that there has been talk of if so there is a lot of credibility in it.

later

40FlatDeck 02-16-2008 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by customryder (Post 2447439)
absolutely BULLETT PROOF? Nothing is that.

:party-smiley-004:

Anarchy Powerboats 02-16-2008 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck (Post 2447631)
:party-smiley-004:

out of the mouths of babes:D:D:D

priceb 02-16-2008 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2447292)
The Torque V-12 was going to revolutionize performance boating too.

Regardless of who's behind it or how well they're financed, if they're not selling the drives they probably won't hang.

I'm always skeptical of quantum leaps in technology and/or capabilities. It's hard to move even slightly forward of the existing state-of-the-art in anything. A drive that promises Bravo architecture and VII+ power handling capability certainly seems like a quantum leap to me.

I ordered Konrads based on their history and the fact that HP boating isn't their sole market- in fact, it isn't their primary market. Yet, I'm taking the chance that I might miss some on-water time at some point. Having thousands of dealers around the woirld is certainly a big Merc advantage.

I wish these guys well. It's nice to see one more company out there helping prevent boaters from experiencing the "boned by Mercruiser" experience.

The big question- when is Volvo Penta going to dive in to this market?

How much did you end up spending on your konrads and how much power can they handle?

Chris Sunkin 02-17-2008 08:44 AM

The Konrad PRS setup with the replacement gimbals is about $20K. I added the streamlined lowers , their heavy tiebar and their hardware kit so that bumped it a bit.

The Konrad is rated (and covered under warranty) for 800 hp/800 torque. That's more than the SSM III and on par with the IIIa. Plus I can use a much less expensive prop. Would the SSM have a speed advantage? At 90+ it very well might- I don't know. Since this is a Cig 35, I don't have to worry about seeing close to 100.

I had the chance at a set of IIIa's at a good price. I didn't want the hassle of going on a scavenger hunt in a few years if I needed a part for a broken drive that's no longer supported by the manufacturer. I also didn't want to endure the expense and effort of a new transom.