Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is There Less Buzz About the Miami Boat Show This Year than in Years Past? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/179990-there-less-buzz-about-miami-boat-show-year-than-years-past.html)

Marginmn 02-15-2008 11:11 PM

Is There Less Buzz About the Miami Boat Show This Year than in Years Past?

I've been a member of of OSO since 2001 (was a lurker before that) and I can not remember a time when there was LESS Hype/Buzz over the Miami boat show than this year. Two full days of the Miami Boat Show have gone by and it seems to me like there is less talk and fewer pictures posted on OSO about the show than we would normally see by noon on the first day - at least it seems that way to me. What Gives?

Is Performance Boating not what it used to be?

Is the Miami show not what it used to be?

Is OSO not what it used to be?

Or am I just imagining that the Miami show used to be bigger than it actually was in past years?

racesdad 02-15-2008 11:14 PM

nobody gets there till friday anyway

Sydwayz 02-16-2008 12:22 AM

The show has been jumping for us. We have a LOT of people in the boats, and check the AT forum for some news from an OSO member.

I think the buzz on OSO is down a bit. There are still plenty of people in town for the show.

Chris Sunkin 02-16-2008 06:54 AM

$4 fuel may have something to do with it.

That and the possibility of one of V.I. Lenin's bastard grandchildren becoming president in the fall.

kimmer 02-16-2008 07:25 AM

Not to mention last minute hotel rooms at 400 p/nite, made me decide to stay home

shoregasm 02-16-2008 07:30 AM

poor economy.......period

show is still good, people are just tighting their belts a bit, and it first shows up in
travel and vacation expenses.....as such....lower vibes on OSO

But THE SHOW IS STILL THERE AND RUNNING GOOD

Edward R. Cozzi 02-16-2008 07:48 AM

Was there on Thursday. Boats and displays looked great. Attendance down on "Premier Day" due to $30.00 entrance fee. I suspect weekend will be crowded.

GLH 02-16-2008 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2447288)
$4 fuel may have something to do with it...

A lot of people bring this up but when I look at all the expense in boating with rigs like that, if gas is $1 or $2 more a gallon on the year for me it represents Maybe $2-3k more....

That is definitely not the bulk of the expenses on running my boat and would not make a make it or brake it difference.

When you count ALL the costs, depreciation, truck, mechanic, insurance, gas, interest on money in the boat and equipment, fees, fines!!!, hotel, restaurants, time and so forth… An increase in the price of gas represents much less than 7% of the overall expenditure yearly so to me that is not the deal breaker.