Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   got GPS? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180008-got-gps.html)

groundsfordivorce 02-16-2008 12:26 PM

got GPS?

I am looking to buy a GPS chartplotter for my boat. I have searched the threads on OSO and some of them are old. I don't think I want a screen smaller than 4 inches. I noticed that some of them come with transducers which I assume will give me a current depth. Do any come with thru the hull transducers? I really don't want to put that ugly wire and transducer thru my transom. I also want charts for the James and Potomac rivers as well as the Chesapeake bay and Lake Anna and Smith Moutain lake. My wife got me an expensive gps for my truck but I don't use the mp3 and bluetooth features, So I believe that the most expensive isn't always the best. Do any of them show marinas? dock bars? gas docks or any other points of intrest? Please give me any advice you can

Sick Stinger 02-17-2008 09:46 AM

All i can say is Garmin it will give you everythign and anythign you want in need for way points or points of interest and yes i do believe they make a Thru the hull fitting and not just a transom mount

4mulafastech 02-17-2008 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a Garmin GPSMAP-378 and love it. It came with inland lakes/rivers and US street maps already loaded. It is portable so I can swap between the boat and car. Talks to you turn by turn if you want and has the land based info (restaurants, hotels, etc.) already loaded. You can buy g2 chips that plug right in for detailed water maps that have all marina info and other details for the locations you choose. You can buy through hull transducer for the depth/fish finder and you can even buy an antena that works with XM radio for real time Nexrad weather radar, wind and wave direction, etc.

BOBCATMATHEWS 02-17-2008 11:00 AM

just paid $180.00 for the gps 76, but the pc interface cable will not fit my new computer,and they want $ 60.00 Plus shipping for one that does:angry-smiley-038: taking it back to boaters world today

nocigarette 02-17-2008 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech (Post 2448318)
I got a Garmin GPSMAP-378 and love it. It came with inland lakes/rivers and US street maps already loaded. It is portable so I can swap between the boat and car. Talks to you turn by turn if you want and has the land based info (restaurants, hotels, etc.) already loaded. You can buy g2 chips that plug right in for detailed water maps that have all marina info and other details for the locations you choose. You can buy through hull transducer for the depth/fish finder and you can even buy an antena that works with XM radio for real time Nexrad weather radar, wind and wave direction, etc.

750.00 is the cheapest i could find one...

4mulafastech 02-17-2008 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by nocigarette (Post 2448331)
750.00 is the cheapest i could find one...

They definitely aren't cheap, but kind of kill 2 birds with land/water navigation. I just updated to the latest version software by connecting the unit via USB to my computer and downloaded from the Garmin website. They also sent me a DVD of the latest street map version (City Navigator V03) for free. Pretty sweet!

Sick Stinger 02-17-2008 12:57 PM

I have the 176 grey scale with built in antenna best thin i ever did no way to get lost and tons of built in way point and poiints of interes plus tide charts

Jammin' 02-17-2008 01:22 PM

I'm thinking about the Northstar Explorer 550. It looks like it would make a very neat installation with the bezel.

http://www.livorsi.com/images/index/...SH_FLOAT_b.gif

JnT 02-17-2008 01:30 PM

Many people turn up their noses at Lowrance due to the bass boat image but they will give you the most features and best sonar for the money.
I work at Boaters World to support my habit and after researching and playing with all the GPS/Sonar combos I boaght an LMS 522C.
Reasons I went with that model;
1. My budget was less than 1000.00
2. I use it in my fishing boat. Lowrance sonar is better than Garmin but not as good as Raymarine and Furuno which were over 1000.00
3. LEI software chips are 99.00 each as opposed to 149.00+
4. I don't track downriggers or fish in water over 900 ft so a single frequency 200khz transducer is sufficient.
5 .I don't have a hardtop so the internal antenna is good.
6. With another transducer,bracket and power cable I will be able to swap it from the fishboat to the Apache easily.
I could go on and on.
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...lotter-Combos/
Set a budget and pick one that best suits your needs.
If money is no object than look at the Raymarine line.

groundsfordivorce 02-17-2008 03:25 PM

hey Jammin I love the look of the Northstar but have you seen the price of that thing? about 2 grand I think and on my boat I would have to completely redo my whole dash. I have twins so I have two of all my gauges.