Lake George/St Johns Info Request >

Lake George/St Johns Info Request

Notices

Lake George/St Johns Info Request

Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake George/St Johns Info Request

We are looking to trailer the boat across the state for long weekend and thinking about the St Johns. We live in Tampa Bay Area ands typically goto Captiva for long weekend but want to try something different and lately it is crazy $$ for basic hotel rooms, Tween Waters is almost 300/night.) . We have been to Hontoon Landing once (Deland) and had a good time in spite our our boat breaking right off the trailer and renting a pontoon.

Anyhow, I digress, this trip we were trying to stay over in the St. Augustine area but accommodations that allow boat trailer parking has become an issue. Any advice for the St. Johns / ICW over on that side? We found a cabin rental place on north side of Lake George (Georgetown Marina) that looks somewhat appealing. I believe that is sort of close to Sliver Glenn, any thoughts on the area, I think that gets decent fun crowd on weekends? I hope there are some regulars here that run on the St Johns that might have some advice (Cuda?) . Hopefully some of you can chime in. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

We have only stayed @ hontoon's, a couple of times. i can't speak about the ICW up near St.aug. We really liked Hontoons and will go back again this year.
Dean
Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered

The St.Johns from lake george and north has no speed limit so that makes it nice. If you go south of Lake George the river has a 35 mph speed limit. Also once you get to Jaxsonville I belive there is a limit again, to the ocean and the ICW or atleast around the Jax area...could be wrong haven't been up that way in awhile. Silver glenn is nice, can't drink once on the run, err well can't have it in a container that says adult beverage. Up north in Palatka there is a nice little resturant on the water, and farther north in Green Cove springs there is the outback crab shack. Great place.... The ICW in ST. Augustine is 35 or less to the north, and to the south it is no speed limit, till you hit ormond i belive. Though if you are staying on the St.Johns down near lake george it would be a good trip to St. Augustine. As you would have to go north to Jax, then hit the ICW and go south. Could be fun, but you would have to check with more northern FL people on the speed limits in place there.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Registered

i like this place, http://www.blairsjungleden.com/ kind of rustic but not bad, you can park your right outside your door on the water and they have their own boat ramp.silver glen is about 5 miles north
Old 02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered

zboDaytona
Were do you do most of your boating at. I'am in tavares.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

I have always enjoyed running north of Astor...Up above Lk George the river widens nicely and no limits. . There is a Holiday Inn in Palatka with slips if I am not mistaken. Silver Glenn is a cool place to hang out just be cautious of the "MAN " if drinking . Hontoon is prob an hour plus south of Lk George and 35 mph speed limit with maybe 4 idle zones. Although it may be the nicer of the places to stay south of Lk George. I have never stayed at any of the hotels so I cannot be of any help but there is Blairs , Blue moon ( rough I think) , Hontoon and whatever is in Plalatka and then the stuff in Jax.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Registered

Is there any places in Jax on the river with dockage?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
zboDaytona
Were do you do most of your boating at. I'am in tavares.
Didn't go out much last year. Sometimes me and my buddy run on the Eustis and Harris chain, though my wife likes going to the glen, i do too, she like the clear water. In years past we have been known to run up to green cove springs for lunch. On a rare occasion we will tow over to the atlantic. Hopefully going to get the boat out more this year, if that is the case will most likely head up the river from Astor to the glen

I am not sure of any places in Jax that boat docking other than the holiday inn in palatka, but that is further south on the river. Though there are the city docks in jax...and the hyatt (i think) is just up the road from them. I know for the jax poker run, thats where the boats dock. not sure of the security when there is no big event, nor what the deal with docking would be either. There are a few members from jax that could give more insite into that.

Last edited by ZBODaytona; 02-19-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Registered

we got a get together with around 40 of our closest friends here, join in if you can
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=150298