Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cigarette Accident in SWFL (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180290-cigarette-accident-swfl.html)

WARPARTY36 02-20-2008 07:33 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Quote from a reply to the article

In your voice
Read reactions to this story

qaman wrote:

The really sad thing about this is that as many people's lives as this group has destroyed the two mentioned in the article deserve everything that has happened to them. It is a real shame that three other customers of Innovative Medical were injured when someone was trying to be a big shot.
2/20/2008 7:53:50 PM

baddogz28 02-20-2008 07:51 PM

Wow, not too shabby for 27. Hope everyone is OK!!!

The Menace 02-20-2008 08:47 PM

Tim's boat is blue and silver.

custommarine 02-20-2008 09:03 PM

I spoke to a friend of the owner and have a few more details of what happened. Most importantly everyone is going to be OK. There some minor injuries but the major factor was hypothermia from exposure to the cold water. One person suffered more hypothermia than the others. The boat spun, but did not go over. Possibly from trying to avoid something in the water. Everyone was ejected. The engine hatch came off the boat as it spun and floated. The boat idled or drifted away from them and was further from the occupants than land. They used the hatch as floatation to make it to land. The boat is back at the dock and I was told other than the hatch and hinges there is no significant damage.
Friends, wear your kill switch lanyards and jackets.

CAP071 02-20-2008 09:11 PM

wear your kill switch lanyards and jackets. Sad that people still don't

happy hours 02-20-2008 09:13 PM

I wakeboard about 30 minutes away from dock nearly every week in the summer time and we ride until dust and on return trip I run on plane (~20mph) every time. But I am really familiar with the route and enough houses etc the ambient light is decent level. Totally legal, but like most of the sport we love, proper judgment is key.

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER (Post 2453283)
We arent in Florida full time so dont really know, but do you guys run at speed at night time? On the lake we live on in Indianapolis, the rule is 10mph a half hr before sunset. Have only boated at night a couple times while down in Florida and that was just on way back from restaraunts and such but always just a bit faster than idle. Cant imagine trying to navigate the ICW up on plane in the dark. Hope everyone is ok

jbraun2828 02-20-2008 09:18 PM

Thats pretty impressive for a 27 year old kid. Glad to hear everyone will be ok, even the boat.

wantingmore 02-20-2008 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Menace (Post 2453572)
Tim's boat is blue and silver.

They took delivery of the Cig about 6 months ago. It is the green one and it has 700s. Roy, Tim's dad claimed he would be the first to drive it before Tim broke it! Guess he was forseeing the future, only it wasn't Tim that did it. I'm just glad they're okay.

dreamer 02-20-2008 10:21 PM

what is the water temp over there?

hypothermia? would never have guessed

Bobthebuilder 02-20-2008 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer (Post 2453690)
what is the water temp over there?

hypothermia? would never have guessed

Low to mid 70's at best. That's sorta cold. :D

BTB